Sherlock

I was wrapped in a bedsheet, watching crimewatch, when Mrs. Hudson came in. "Yoo-hoo!" she called.

"In here!" I yelled.

She poked her head into the living room. "Oh Sherlock, you really should put some clothes on."

I snorted my dismissal.

"No, I'm being serious. Go put some clothes on." she picked up the remote and turned off the telly. How rude.

"Fine." I resorted to my usual suit. It was four in the afternoon, the dinner started at seven. Mrs. Hudson made me some tea, and I sat in my chair, eating a biscuit and mulling over my latest case. The problem was, my mind kept wandering. I tried to go into the most secure spot in my mind palace for thinking, but no matter where I went, Ally always showed up. Always. I couldn't get her out of my head, literally.

I shook my head, and the thoughts of her lecturing me on astronomy faded. I picked up a book. I needed to distract myself.

"Sherlock?" it was Ally at the door.

"Hm?"

"Whatcha doin?"

"Reading."

"I see. You are aware that you are holding the book upside down and that it's sheet music, correct?"

"Okay, you got me. I was thinking."

"What were you thinking about?"

I resisted the urge to say, 'you,' and instead said, "The case I'm working on right now."

"Oh. I was watching crimewatch earlier."

"So was I."

"Oh."

Conversation had slowed and she looked about the room, as if nervous or scared or awkward. Probably a combination of all three things. "...Tea?" she finally asked. I shook my head.

"No thanks. Just had some."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

She left, and I sighed, partly in exhaustion, partly in relief. That was one of the most awkward conversations I had held in a long time. Well, at least when both parties feel awkward. I often feel awkward in social situations.

It was finally seven o'clock. Ally and I had made plans to meet at the venue, because she took forever getting ready and I got impatient waiting for her. So I left.

I entered the venue, and found John almost immediately. "Hello, John." I said, straightening my jacket.

"Hello, where's Allison?"

"Coming. I see you have got a new suit?"

"Yes." he said, nodding. It was light grey, and appeared to be made of some sort of taffeta. A good choice.

People milled about me, making smalltalk, and I felt as if I stuck out like a sore thumb. I didn't like social gatherings. The last one had been John's wedding, and I left before it ended. There was too much happy and drinking and partying.

"Sherlock!" a voice called behind me. "You came!" The voice belonged to Lestrade, and I turned around.

"Yes." I said simply.

"I wasn't expecting you to come!"

I shrugged, but I was wishing desperately that I was back at 221b, free from all the people and the noise and the stupid.

Speaking of stupid, Anderson spotted me next. "Hello, Sherlock." he said cooly. I chose to ignore him, and he eventually left me alone.

"Sherlock!"

Finally. The voice I was waiting to hear. Allison was here. She walked up to me, beaming. Her hair was done up in a fancy updo, and her dark makeup accentuated her bright green eyes. Her dress was crimson satin, and was very form fitting, with a halter top and an open back. Her lipstick matched her dress. No doubt, many of the men here thought she looked beautiful.

I squashed those thoughts down, and smiled back at her. I noticed that she had gotten a few inches taller. She must be wearing heels, but they were obscured by the length of the dress.

She smiled at me, and took my arm. She then proceeded to lead me around the room to talk to other people. Well, she talked. I hung around.

Eventually the food came out, and we left to take our seats. We sat at a table with John and Mary, Lestrade and his wife, and a couple other police officers, Donovan unfortunately being among them.

I ate in silence, noticing that Ally kept looking at her phone in the nervous manner of someone who is expecting something. I was curious as to what, but before I could ask her, she put her phone away.

"So," Lestrade began, after swallowing a forkful of pasta. "The kidnappings."

I nodded.

"What kidnappings?" asked John, confused.

Donovan cleared her throat. "Last week, there were four kidnappings, each within different sections of the city. Each victim was seven years old. Two were male, two were female."

"Oh." John said, simply.

"So," Lestrade said again, after another forkful of pasta, "We need to know what links them. Why seven year olds? Why the alternating genders?"

This time, Mary spoke up. "Have any of the children been found? Dead or alive?"

Lestrade and Donovan both shook their heads. "Unfortunately not." said Donovan.

"Sherlock, Allison, you two are being unusually quiet," stated Lestrade.

I shrugged, Ally did the same.

"What is there to say?" said Ally. "We don't know anything more than you do."

"Maybe you freaks have a theory." stated Donovan.

"Don't call me a freak, Sally, that's crass." said Ally icily, setting down her fork. "I am a normal human being. I have emotions too."

"As a matter of fact," I finally said. "I do not have a theory, and neither does Ally. We need more evidence in order to develop a theory."

"Let's talk about something more appropriate for a Christmas dinner party, shall we?" asked John.

Donovan, Lestrade, and Mary all nodded. I noticed that Ally looked as put out as I did. She had wanted to hear more about the kidnappings, just like me. I smiled inwardly.