John

Hey, sorry I haven't updated in a while.

Cheers!

-Lai

"Dinner it is, then!" Mary exclaimed loudly.

I poked my head into the room. "Mary, dear, what are you shouting about?"

She turned to look at me. "Sherlock and Allison are coming over for dinner tonight! I was just on the phone with Allison!"

My eyes widened in disbelief. Dinner? "Dinner?" I asked. "Sherlock Holmes is going to have dinner, with his girlfriend at our house?"

Mary chuckled. "John, don't sound so surprised. It's not that odd."

"That's like saying the Shanghai Tower isn't that tall."

Mary laughed, and I shook my head. Plopping down on the sofa, I picked up the newspaper and began reading it. It was mid February, so doing anything outside was a total no go. The snow and the ice made the going treacherous, I didn't envy anyone who had to travel in this weather. I abandoned my pondering and returned to my newspaper.

The doorbell rang, and I opened the door to find Sherlock and Allison holding hands on my doorstep. Allison was holding a bottle of wine with her free hand, Sherlock was checking text messages on his mobile with his free hand.

"Hello!" Allison chirped, trying to wave. Realizing that both of her hands were occupied, she started to laugh.

I smiled. "C'mon in, you two."

Allison let go of Sherlock's hand and came inside. When the detective just sort of stood there, not really paying attention, Allison grabbed his sleeve and pulled him inside. "C'mon, Sher!" she said impatiently. "Put your phone away!"

Surprisingly, he did as he was told and put his mobile phone away. He came inside, and Allison made him take off his coat, much to his chagrin.

"I don't want to!" he complained loudly.

"Too bad. We're indoors and you're taking it off." she attempted to pull it off of him, but seeing as he was much taller and stronger than her, her attempt was quite futile.

This gentle bickering went on for quite some time before Sherlock finally just said, "FINE! I'll take the damn coat off! Just as long as you leave me alone, Ally!" He took the coat off and hung it up on the coat rack. I smiled at all of this.

We sat down, and Mary brought over the chicken marsala that she had made; it was quite delicious.

Allison cracked open the white wine she brought, and we sat, eating and drinking, in a period of awkward silence. Finally, she cleared her throat and we all looked at her attentively. Well, Mary and I looked at her, Sherlock kept eating his dinner. "Thank you for having Sher and I for dinner."

Mary smiled. "Of course, love. I'm glad you could come! It's a first for us, y'know."

"What is?" Allison asked.

"Having Sherlock over for dinner!" said Mary, and Allison smirked.

Sherlock looked up sharply. "I was not aware that I was generally welcome." he said stiffly.

I chuckled. "Sherlock, why would you think that?"

"I make a terrible dinner guest." he said plainly, and Allison snorted into her wineglass mid-sip.

I shrugged, conceding to his point. He was uncommunicative, closed off, aloof, and in general, a major prick. But hey, he was my best friend, so of course he was welcome over for dinner.

After dinner, we sat on the living room floor, playing a game of Scrabble. Sherlock and Allison were tied, and they were each two hundred points above Mary and I.

"No, Sherlock, ginormous isn't a word acceptable in the Scrabble Dictionary!" exclaimed Allison as Sherlock tried to play said word.

"How do you know that?" he retorted.

"Because I memorized it, Sher, that's why!" she said sassily.

I shook my head, laughing. "Perhaps we had better play something else? You two have been destroying Mary and I, and we both have fairly decent scores for this game."

"No!" they both cried, in unison. "I have to beat Ally!" Sherlock shouted at the same time Allison yelled, "I have to beat Sherlock!"

"No," Mary said. "I think John is right. We should play something else."

"Or how about nothing at all?" I suggested. "We could just talk."

Sherlock made a hmph sound, and Allison chuckled. She gave him a light smack on the shoulder, and said, "Socializing isn't that bad, Sher."

We talked about crime, mostly, but also about Sherlock and Allison. This made them a bit uncomfortable, but Mary and I subjugated them to it anyway.

Mary asked Allison if she was going to move into 221b, and the ginger balked at the question. "I... I don't know, to be honest. Maybe. We've only been dating for a little over a month though, so not anytime soon."

Sherlock seemed impassive to this answer, but I was curious to know his true opinion on the matter. I, however, thought better than to ask him now.

Hours passed, and our conversation dwindled. It came time that Sherlock decided that they needed to leave, and we said our goodbyes.