Chapter 3

We hurried out the door and hoped we could find Edmund following his trail. "Hurry!" Peter urged us on. We started running but when we reached the top of a hill which looked out over the witch's castle we saw the huge gates opening and a human shaped dot walking through them before they closed again. "EDMUND!" Lucy yelled. "Shhhh they'll hear ya!!" Mr. Beaver said. Peter wanted to run off but Mr. Beaver and I stopped him. "NO!" I told him. "Let go of me!!" Peter told us. "You'll play right into her hands!" Mr. Beaver told him. "We can't just let him go!" Susan said. "He's our brother!" Lucy exclaimed. "He's the bait" I told them. "The witch wants all four of you." "Why?" Lucy asked. "To stop the prophesy from coming true. To kill you!!!" Mr. Beaver told them. the three of them gasped and looked at the castle. "This is all YOUR fault!" Susan told Peter. "My fault?!" "None of this would've happened if you had just listened to me in the first place!" She told him. "Oh so you knew this would happen?" Peter asked her sarcastically. "I didn't know what would happen. Which is why we should have left while we still could!" She yelled back at him. "STOP IT!!" Lucy yelled at them. "This isn't gonna help Edmund" I told them. "They're right. Only Aslan could save your brother now" Beaver said. "Then take us to him!" Peter told him. Suddenly we heard wolves howling. "The secret police!" Beaver exclaimed, and we started running. We went back inside the Beaver's dam. "Hurry mother they're after us!" Mr. Beaver told his wife. "Oh right then." She said and started grabbing all kind of stuff. "What are you doing?" Peter asked her. "You'll be thanking me later. It's a long trip and Beaver gets pretty cranky when he's hungry" She told him. "I'm cranky now!" Beaver told her. "You think we need jam?" Susan who had jumped to help Mrs. Beaver asked her. "Only if the witch serves toast" I told them. suddenly we heard barking. We all gasped when we suddenly heard they were trying to tear the dam apart. "In here!" Mr. Beaver said while he opened a door which revealed a tunnel. We all jumped in. "Badger and I made this. comes out near his place" Mr. Beaver told us while running. We (the humans) all had to bend over to fit the tunnel. "You told me it led to your mom's!" Mrs. Beaver told him. Suddenly Lucy tripped and fell. While Susan and I helped her up we heard barks. "They're in the tunnel" Lucy whispered. "Quick this way!" Mr. Beaver told us. "Run!" Peter yelled. And we did. we soon came to the exit and we climbed out. I took a look around and saw all kinds of animals made of stone. Lucy screamed and I turned towards the noise. She had tripped and fallen over a couple of petrified bunnies. Mr. Beaver looked around and started walking towards a petrified badger. "I'm so sorry dear" Mrs. Beaver told her husband. "He was my best mate" he said with tears in his eyes. "What happened here?" I asked. "This is what becomes of those who cross the witch" A new voice said. We all looked around to see where it came from and it turned out to be a fox. "You take one more step traitor and I will chew you to splinters!" Mr. Beaver told him angrily. "Relax I'm one of the good guys!" The fox told him. "Yeah, well you look an awful lot like one of the bad ones." "An unfortunate family resemblance" The fox said "But we can argue about breeding later. Right now we gotta move." "What did you have in mind?" Peter and I asked him in unison. "Climb into that tree and I will tell them you ran north" He told us. And so we did. After the Wolves had gone we climbed down again. One of the wolves had hurt the fox so Mrs. Beaver started tending to the wounds. "The people from this village were helping Tumnus and the witch came here before I did" The fox told us. "Are you alright?" Lucy asked him worried. "I wish I could say their barks are worse than their bite.. OW" "Oh stop squirming. You're worse than Beaver on bath day!" Mrs. Beaver told him. Mr. Beaver shuddered "Worst day of the year" He told us. The fox stood up. "Thank you for your kindness but I'm afraid that's all the cure I have time for" He told us. "You're leaving?" Lucy asked him. "It's been a pleasure my queen and an honor" He said while bowing "But time is short as Aslan himself has sent me to gather more troops." The Beavers gasped. "You've seen Aslan?" Mr. Beaver asked. "What's he like?" Mrs. Beaver added. "Like everything we've ever heard. He'll be happy to have you by his side in his battle against the witch" He told Peter and me. "We're not planning on fighting any witch" Susan told the fox. "But surely king Peter. The prophesy!" He asked him. "We can't go to war without ya" Mr. Beaver told Peter. Peter shared a look with Susan. "We just want our brother back" Peter told them. "Very well" The fox said clearly disappointed and he turned to leave. "Wait!" I told him. He turned back around. "Yes Your Majesty?" He asked me. "Just this" I said and I knelt in front of him and gave him a kiss on the forehead. I honestly don't know why I did that but it felt like the right thing to do. "Ah. Thank you Your Majesty for healing my leg" He told me gratefully and he turned around and ran off. Everybody looked at me. "Wait I healed his leg?" I asked in amazement. Suddenly I had an idea. Maybe it could help the petrified animals as well. I stood up and walked over to Mr. Beaver's friend Badger and kissed him on the forehead. At first nothing happened but then like melting ice, color started to spread over his body and he came back to life. "Mr. and Mrs. Beaver can you take care of all the animals while I unfreeze them?" I asked and went to the next Animal. The others explained to the confused animals what had happened. They were all very thankful for what I'd done. "You're all very welcome. But right now I really want to get some sleep" I told all of them completely exhausted. I lay down and went to sleep immediately.