Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Gavin

1540 -- August 26th

Laird Angus found his son, Gavin MacKenzie, cleaning the long blade of the lad's claymore in his den. Angus was a wizened old man, with a gray beard and gray hair, but a chest made of stone, and blue eyes tempered to the hue of hardened steel. He managed to hold Eilean Donan Castle for a strong fifty years. While many doubted the claimed age of the old Laird, none disrespected him enough to say it to his face.

Gavin was of a similar build. Much younger, but with the same hardened eyes, and blond hair that his father once had. A glint always came to Laird Angus' eye when he saw his son, a reminder of his youthful past.

"I know why you're here, old man," Gavin said without lifting his eyes off the blade. "I've already given you my answer. I won't marry Katrine Maxwell."

Angus sighed heavily. "Why must I battle you about this?" He settled down in a chair opposite his son, who continued to ignore him. "I'm sorry you couldn't marry the fine lass we had picked out for you, but this is who we've chosen to replace her. We need the support of the Maxwells if we intend on surviving the feud with the MacDonalds." He hacked and cleared his throat, adding, "Those dogs."

"What feud? That's all I've heard for my entire life and nothing has come of it."

"A day will come when it'll be important to have strong allies."

"Must we make do with allies of the Maxwell Clan? Those sick animals, begging for scraps in the lowlands... I donae like it."

"Ye mustn't be be so hasty with your words." He paused and Gavin felt his gaze move off of him. "New clans are coming in early again this year."

Gavin grew frustrated and sick of being badgered. He tossed the rag down and sheathed his sword, stomping out of the study. His polished and light armor shook and clinked as he moved, his footsteps hard on the carpeted stone.

His father called after him, but Gavin ignored him. His father would never let up about the MacDonald threat. His constant pressure to marry Katrine Maxwell had been especially fierce the last two months, something about the King never answering his letters. As time had passed, the Laird had grown more and more paranoid and anxious. All it was doing was frustrating Gavin.

He found his way out of the suffocating brick of the castle walls and clasped the edge of an eave, dropping his gaze over the people milling about outside the keep. More clans had moved in again, and he felt a bit upset by their presence.

He couldn't marry Katrine. It wasn't that she wasn't beautiful, but that he didn't trust the Maxwells. No matter how many times he told his father, he'd never listen. It didn't matter if the clan needed the Maxwells to help with the MacDonald Clan. They weren't going to do anything, they were like garden snakes. Maybe frightening for a moment, but never an actual threat.

Gavin's bright blond hair flicked up and down as a cool breeze kicked through the hall. He lazily gripped his sword and tried to decide what he was going to do.

Fake his death? No, that was too ridiculous. Maybe escape, go into hiding?

That might work.

As he looked across the crowd of families and clans in the market, his heart pumped a little faster when he laid eyes on one red haired lass in particular. He didn't know her name or what clan she belonged to, but for that moment, he felt his blood surge.

He wiped his brow and exhaled hot air. He turned to head down the hall and find an old friend of his, Alec Macrae, who also resided in the castle. As he passed back into the building from the breezeway, he stole one last glance down at the fiery-haired beauty who had already taken his heart.