FOUR

"I guess I should say congratulations," Ty said, smiling

"I guess I should say congratulations," Ty said, smiling. "You got a job babysitting monsters."

Kaya smiled, looking down at her phone, which sat on the table. A few moments ago she had gotten the call that she got the job at the community center and that her first few kids were ready to get to know her next week. Afterwards, she'd gotten a call right after from the director of youth engagement that she had been cleared to work in that department as a mentor. He had told her that she needed to come in the next day for orientation—they were bringing a couple of other employees in along with her—and a tour of the area that she would be working in as well as her office area. As a mentor, she needed to have a caseload and help with coordinating events, something all mentors were required to do as part of their contract.

Her day was instantly made better by both calls. After her short visit to the high school the week before, Kaya was feeling kind of down. She had no friends around her besides Ty and maybe Julian, but both men were busy and Kaya didn't want to hang out with Julian and Alison. She was terrified of contacting Olivia although the woman told Kaya to contact her anytime.

Contrary to what most people in Layton believed, she loved hanging around people. They energized her, made her feel like she was worth more than she realized. Reading and cleaning her house weren't that high on her list of things she wanted to do, so she floundered around until Ty called and invited her to meet him at the gym in Gainey, a town slightly bigger than Layton about thirty miles away.

After working out for a bit, they decided to stop for some food. Filipino takeout was their reward for a gym visit well spent. It was there that Kaya got the call.

"They aren't monsters," she said, hitting Ty on the shoulder. He chuckled in response. "Besides, the only monster here is you. What have you done today, anyway?"

Ty leaned back in his chair, which squeaked and made him jump and yelp in surprise. Kaya choked a bit on her drink as she laughed. His reaction had been hilarious.

"Well," he said, recovering and straightening himself in his chair, "I woke up, warmed up some burritos, took a shower, did some art and a couple of shoots, and then texted you to go to the gym with me. Since Julian got with the she-devil, I haven't had a gym buddy. You're my newest victim."

Kaya rolled her eyes and finished her matcha bubble tea, which she was surprised that the Filipino restaurant sold. When she'd been in college, there were bubble tea bars everywhere so they had been readily available. 

While she relished her time hanging out with Ty, she realized that it was easy to get used to his humor again; he was the main reason that she laughed in high school and he was just naturally funny. She ignored the little flutter her heart made when Ty mentioned Julian. She was ready to be completely over him.

Wasn't the fact that he had a girlfriend enough to tell her heart no? Apparently not.

Kaya took a sip of her tea and then pasted on a smile.