TWENTY THREE

A few minutes of silence went by before either of the two shifted from their positions

"Regardless of our differing views of friendship," Ty said. "I want to know how you feel."

Kaya chest heaved as she sighed. "I feel the same way you do," she said. "But...I'm scared. I've only had crushes before, never been in love with someone."

"Not even in college?" Ty interrupted, shock evident in his voice.

"Definitely not college," Kaya said, letting out a small laugh. "Like, I had sex, but there was no one I was involved with. I was too busy." And afraid to make friends I would lose, she thought.

"Huh."

"But really, Ty. I'm terrified of this. I'm terrified about what it could do to us. What if we don't work out? What if our friendship ends and we end up hating each other? What if we break up and our friends have to choose between us?" With each question, her voice shook. Kaya had never voiced these thoughts aloud, the thoughts she had at night when she was alone in her bed. And with each question, her anxiety skyrocketed. Ty had to straighten her up and force her to look at him.

"Kaya," he said, his voice stern. "Look at me. Look at me."

She pulled herself out of her head and looked into his eyes. His deep, brown eyes, full of fear and honesty and hosts of other emotions that she could see.

"We could never hate each other," he said, his voice soothing. "Never. I wouldn't allow it, and neither would any of our friends."

"You can't be sure of that," she whispered.

"Yes," Ty answered, "I can. We are not Alison." He kissed her, a small, short kiss that lingered. "We would never abandon you because of what other people say or do. I definitely won't. Why would you ever think that?"

"I just do," Kaya answered honestly. "It's happened before. I overthink things. And take too long to make decisions. Aunt April says that I probably have anxiety, with the way I disappear into my head so much."

"Probably," Ty said, his lips lifting into a smile. "But so does Lauren. And Julian. They're still here, right?" Kaya nodded. "We haven't left each other, and we won't leave you." He pulled Kaya into him, into a hug that made her feel safe. She'd always felt safe with Ty, she realized.

"Now," he said, hugging her tighter so that she wouldn't escape. His voice had gotten deeper, rougher. "Let's stop talking about how undeserving of love and friendship you are and start talking about dating, hm? And then we could go take a shower."

There was no one around when Kaya got back home and she let out a sigh of relief. Julian must've spent the night in Gainey, because his car wasn't in the driveway, and Ximena had taken Santiago on a small trip for New Years'. The teenager had promised that she and her brother would be back the next day.