Chapter 8

I don't go to school the next day. I lie and tell my dad I don't feel good. He believes me and leaves after setting a can of chicken noodle soup and medicine on the counter. He also tells me that another girl was found dead. Her name was Lisa Willougby. The weird freshman, Christina Wendall found her body in the woods, well, only half of it.

I lay in bed, not bothering to even change out of my sweatpants. I watch a few episodes of my favorite show on Netflix.

Roman and Peter both pushed me away. I was extremely pissed off at the both of them. Peter turns into a fucking werewolf and then leaves me in the dust with no answers. Then as soon as I start gaining feelings toward Roman, he pushes me away.

I'm about to fall asleep when the door bell rings. Slowly, I pull myself out of bed to go answer it. Surprisingly, it was Peter. He was holding a coffee cup in his hand. He knew I was obsessed with coffee.

"Hey, can I come in? I brought you some coffee."

I open the door more and gesture him inside, not saying anything. We take a seat on the couch and he immediately begins apologizes after handing me the warm cup.

"I shouldn't have treated you the way I did yesterday," he tells me. "I was being a fucking dick."

"Yeah, you were," I nod in agreement, taking a sip. The warm liquid ran down my throat, making me feel warm and cozy.

Peter sighs before telling me everything. He talks about the other dead body being found, ripped in half. He did some digging and found out that the thing responsible for the brutal killings was called a vargulf. It was some sort of insane and sick werewolf. He also tells me about how the sheriff and a lady from fish and wild game came to his house and questioned him. Peter was scared they would figure out he was a wolf and capture him. He also told me about how he visited his cousin, Destiny. She said she could help find the vargulf.

"So, what are you going to do?" I question, holding a pillow closer to my body.

"We are going to find it, then kill it."

"We?"

"You, me, and Roman," he announced. "That is, if you want to help."

"I'll do anything to help you, Peter," I sigh truthfully. "But, I don't know about Roman."

"He likes you, Elsie, a lot," Peter explains as I twiddle with my thumbs. "I know he can be a dick, but just give him a chance. He is going through some shit right now."

I scoff. "If he likes me so much, then why did he push me away? One minute he is nice and sweet, then the next he acts like he can't even look at me."

"Like I said, he has some issues, but I know he doesn't mean to take it out out on you," Peter tells me. We sit in silence for a moment, "So will you help? For me? You don't even have to talk to Roman if you don't want to."

"Of course I will help you, dummy. Only because you brought me coffee," I joke as I playfully nudged his arm, making him smile. Peter was my best friend and I didn't want to flake on him. "What do we have to do?"

"Well, it's crazy," he begins slowly, "But we are going to dig up Lisa Willougby's grave."

-

That night, I sneak out again. I was getting pretty good at it. A part of me felt guilty because I was very close with my dad. I had never lied or went behind his back before. However, I quickly brushed it off. I had to be focused for what we were about to do.

Of course, it felt wrong and horrible to dig up a dead girl's grave. But, Peter insisted that there was no other option. I didn't ask what we were going to do once we got the casket open because I didn't want to know.