10

Updated 19/02/20

GRACIE'S HEAD was swarming with thoughts and was almost expecting a breakdown any time to follow. Both of her parents had already fallen asleep hours ago, instead, she sat awake on her bed. There was a slight rustling outside the backyard, to which the girl nervously held her breath. She wanted to turn the lights off but she thought whatever was lurking outside would notice. To make matters worse, her window was slightly open. Gracie's bedroom window faced the backyard toward the Calawah River, and it was easy to climb up to it. That's exactly what the noise was doing, climbing. She stood by her door, ready to run but at the same time she was curious to see what it was. Part of her hoped it was Riley, playing a joke as his coming home surprise but another part told her it wasn't him. Hands held her window sill and then the window was slowly, but quietly pushed upward. Then there was a leg, a body. The person that had climbed into her bedroom through the window wasn't Riley - it was Embry. 

Gracie furrowed her eyebrows, stepping away from her door. "What the hell are you doing?" 

Embry apologetically and awkwardly looked at the girl, giving a small smile and a frown at the same time. "I, ah...we need to talk." 

Her thoughts were fighting. 'Don't let him work his way back to you!' 'Stick to your promises, Gracie!' but there were stronger thoughts pushing through and all around my body. 'Hold onto him, Gracie!' 

"I'm truly sorry for disappearing for months without reasoning, and I wish I could...I want to explain everything to you, right from the beginning." Embry continued noticing she hadn't answered. 

Gracie looked away, "Sam and his cult. Cult of wolves."

"Gracie," Embry grabbed onto her hand, to which she went to pull away but her muscles refused to let go.

With all her promised might, she pulled her hand from his and walked toward the window. "No. I don't know what's going on. First Jacob warns me about Sam and this so called cult and next minute both of you boys join him, even Jared. Then all of a sudden Paul turns into this big giant wolf and you guys all expect me to be ok with it. I mean even Bella is acting like she sees this sort of stuff everyday."

 Embry pulled Gracie into a hug, then realising she was crying when she was talking. This time, Gracie didn't pull away, but held him as tight as he held her. There had always been something mysterious about Embry that made her like him so much, and for some reason her feelings for him had magnified over the last twenty-four hours.

"I'm never going to leave you, I promise." Embry whispered into her ear, and then everything in her mind seemed clearer. She felt calmer, safer. It felt nice. 

There was a sudden howl arising from the tree lines near the river in my backyard. Embry pulled away, one hand still holding her lower back, the other ran down the long blonde hair toward the back of her neck loosely. 

"I wish I could stay..." Embry began softly as he caressed her cheek but she cut him off.

"But they need you, I get it."

He stepped toward the window, but then stopped and turned back. Gracie smiled, the tiniest smile, lingering onto his presence. Before she knew it, Embry grabbed her and kissed her hard. It was a passionate kiss but small as he jumped back out the window and rejoined his pack. She stood there, half intrigued to what happened, half unsure. Gracie shut her window, turned off the lights and lay on her back looking up at the bedroom ceiling. She had so much to process and for some reason time always felt like it was running out. Her bedroom clocked read 02:39AM and she was still buzzing after that kiss with Embry. 

'Embry's a werewolf.' Gracie repeated, hoping it'd sink in eventually. 

To that, she'd fallen asleep just before it hit three o'clock in the morning. She had precisely four and a half hours till she'd need to get up for school, but that was cut short by a nightmare. Gracie was sitting in her mythology elective class when a new teacher walked in. It was that Laurent guy. She turned, finding no one else in the classroom - Bella pounding on the door from the outside hallway screaming for her to run. Laurent moved closer to her, his scarlet eyes vivid as was his tongue flicking over his teeth, which seemed to have two pointed canines, almost like a vampire would. Vampire? If werewolves exist, do vampires? Suddenly a silver wolf jumped through the glass, standing in between the dark vampire and herself. Bella burst through the door too, but she wasn't alone. She was with Edward. Edward jumped towards the vampire, and with super strength he threw him into the blackboard. The rest of the Cullen family all piled in too, ripping apart Laurent. They were all vampires! Gracie didn't move, and the wolf kept making sure she was safe behind him. Then the Cullen's looked to the wolf with the same look they'd given Laurent. The silver wolf snarled and bared his teeth at the Cullen's too and then .... 

nothing

Gracie woke up at the buzzing of her alarm clock. She now had a headache, but was glad to see herself away from the Laurent.  It was just a dream, she kept telling herself. It was just a dream. 

2017© ; misstonii