Twenty

"Jullian," I say breathlessly, staring at who we hit.

"What... is it dead?" He asks, trying to peer over my chair to look.

"He's not dead- still breathing- might need a hospital though."

"What do you mean might need a hospital, they aren't going to take a deer in a hospital Norie," he chuckles, finally reaching my side, seeing what I meant, "oh... fuck."

"Yeah, you hit a person," I mutter as we ignore the rain soaking our clothes, watching the groaning stranger. "Well, are you going to help him? Or are we just gonna let him die, lonely." I say pointing at him. Jullian quickly rolls his eyes as he helps the guy up, quickly shoving him back down as fast as he got up, making me jump slightly.

"What the fuck are you doing here," the stranger mutters and I automatically recognize the voice... not being a stranger after all. Before I can even look him in the eye I'm in the passenger seat, refusing to look out the window. What feels like 10 minutes go by before I feel a large sinking feeling in the back of the trunk, assuming they put the motorcycle he was riding in the back. Not long after Jullian gets in the front seat, then the back door opens and the truck dips again. Before I can even react we're moving on the road again.

"It's gonna be fine Norie, he's just gonna stay overnight through the rain then he'll be out of our way okay?" Jullian whispers, pulling his hand gently on my own, squeezing it reassuringly. I give a small nod before we're interrupted.

"Well, how are you guys doing these days? I'm fine, how about you Elle? I got your birthday card, very kind of you," he chuckles, "Would you mind if I read it? Did you get a chance to read it Jullian?"

"Keep my girlfriend's name out of your damn mouth Anthony," Jullian sputters, his voice getting slightly louder as he does a sharp turn into the nearest gas station, pulling quickly into a parking spot. "I'll be in then out, will you be fine in here?" He asks softly and I nod my head. He lets out a sigh and quickly kisses my forehead. "Just say the word and I'll punch him in the throat," he smiles before getting out of the truck and running inside.

"So you and Jullian huh? I'm surprised you chose to go for the guy who threw you to the side like a piece of sh-"

"That's enough Anthony, just stop." I sigh, looking for Jullian through the glass gas station windows.

"Why? You know you don't have a real reason to why you chose him, Elle." He chuckles as I find Jullian walking to the front register.

"You really want to know why Anthony?" I snap, unable to stop myself before turning around to face him, "Because choosing someone who hurt me and was willing to say sorry is better than choosing someone who lied behind my back then decided to disappear once they got caught." I yell, quickly turning back around when tears start coming to my eyes, "and at least I knew Jullian was still alive when he left me." I say in barely a whisper, almost choking on my own words as the tears start to brim at the bottom of my eyes.

The truck becomes engulfed in silence when he decides to speak up, "Elle I-"

"Sorry I took so long, I couldn't find it for a while there," Jullian chuckles, placing the milk in my lap, then looking at me. He slowly places his hand on my cheek, wiping the tear falling from my right eye with the pad of his thumb. "Are you okay?" he asks, immediately worried.

"Yeah, I just want to go now," I nod, turning my head from his palm, putting my seatbelt back on, wiping the tears from my eyes with my sleeve.

・・・

"He doesn't need to go to the hospital or anything?" Jason asks, opening the milk jug and putting it to its much-needed use.

"He said that he was fine and all he needed was to make sure his bike was okay," Jullian shrugs, getting 3 water bottles out of the fridge; placing 2 of them in the middle of us two and chunking the third at Anthony who sat in the living room, muttering 'damn it,' when he missed his head by only a mere few inches.