Chapter Thirteen: Breakfast with a Side of Regret

I knew I wasn't in my room in the penthouse when I woke up, because I knew it didn't look anything like the room I was supposed to be in. This room was bigger, had a desk, a chair in the corner I knew that shouldn't be there. I breathed slowly looking down at myself. I wasn't wearing any clothes, in fact I had just managed to wrap myself in the white hotel bed sheet. I knew what it meant, I knew that it hadn't been a dream and I could hardly believe myself.

I hesitated before even slightly moving and turning myself over to look to the other side of the bed. I breathed out again when I saw Clarke, also naked, in the same bed as me. I had actually done that, I had had sex with Clarke. What the hell was I thinking? Why couldn't I stop it? Oh, god, I need to get out of here.

As quiet as I could I snuck myself out of his bed to prevent him from waking up. I grabbed everything in sight I thought was mine, like my dress, and my bra...I made sure to sneak out without another sound. I made my way to my room quickly, locking myself in there the moment I got back. I lent against my door and I breathed slowly. I couldn't think, I couldn't wrap my head around what I had done. Was I insane? This was Clarke. Clarke who I had seen with a girl or two now, with Alicia especially, not to mention how rude he was...even if he had calmed down and apologised since then.... I mean I worked for him. It was wrong! I had to be crazy.

I decided I needed a shower, or maybe three, but I knew I needed the hot water to touch my skin to help me calm down. In truth I spent probably half an hour in that shower, maybe longer, cleaning myself and trying to make sense of it. I knew I couldn't have feelings for Clarke, I didn't have those types of feelings anyway. I wanted to regret it too, but somewhere inside me, I didn't. I could remember how it felt, how he felt, and it was good. I guess the act itself wasn't something to regret...maybe just the fact that it was Clarke.

After being hold up in my room for nearly two hours I started to get hungry and I knew I had to emerge to get food. So slowly, I walked out of my room making my way to the dining area to see if any breakfast had been delivered. I wasn't sure where I expected Clarke to be, maybe I imagined him asleep as he had been the last time I saw him, but stepping into the dining room and seeing the food, I realised was very wrong.

There he was, sitting at the other end of the table. He didn't notice me straight away, in fact had his head submerged in some papers, a pen in one hand and a piece of toast in the other. Was he getting some work done, this early?

"Rory," he said, suddenly noticing I was there, as I was frozen in place. "I was wondering where you got to."

"Yeah, ah, I needed a shower," I admitted with a small shrug.

"And breakfast I can imagine," he noted. "Please, sit down eat something. They've brought up enough food for ten people as usual."

I hesitated but eventually walked myself to sit in the chair across from Clarke. I decided not to look him in the eye and focus on what looked like really delicious food. I poured myself some orange juice, grabbed a plate and started to fill it up.

"Rory," Clarke suddenly sighed, as I put my full plate down in front of me. "We should probably...talk about what happened."

I didn't want to answer him. I couldn't talk to him about it, not yet. I had barely worked it out in my own head, how was I meant to verbalise the gibberish going on in there?

"I guess," I eventually said, realising that probably didn't sound too great.

"Yes, well-."

Clarke never really got to start his sentence because he was interrupted by the sound of his phone ringing. He glanced down at it, reading the caller ID before he sighed.