Only Her

My chest heavied as I put back the cover of my skating blades.

I just finished performing the free program but despite the thunderous applause that I got from the audience (which mainly composed of a lot of Japanese fans), I can't help but feel disappointed because technically, what I did just now was nothing but a complete disaster. Very far from the perfect performance that I planned to showcase here, in the Rostelecom Cup of Russia 2017, during my pre-competition training.

I don't know what happened exactly. It seemed like everything just didn't go well right from the beginning. Yesterday I had a not-so-so SP performance and only placed second in the ranking. Despite being utterly down by that failure though, I promised to myself that I will definitely bounce back during the FP today. But unfortunately that didn't happen. The only things that I was able to produce were: a barely saved quad lutz, a popped quad loop and quad toe, and an over all sloppy skating feels. Nothing just seemed to work for me at all.

I sighed. More than anything I really wanted to win the gold today, in this competition, where I won my first ever Grand Prix gold medal way back in 2011. But looking at things right now, it's more likely that the chances are as slim as a sheet of paper, considering the threat that Nathan Chen imposes.

Shaking my head, I headed to the Kiss and Cry and wait for the final verdict.

"The total score for Yuzuru Hanyu is 290.77 which is his season's best and is currently in the first place."

Upon hearing the scores, I tried so hard to flash a decent smile in consideration for my ever supportive coach beside me, though deep inside I was totally dispirited. Sure in reality that might be a pretty decent score alright, but I am not satisfied with it because I know that I could do so much more. If only I didn't mess up.

Dang it!

I am currently in first place but to be honest, I am not confident that it will stay that way until the end of the competition. Well it might be, probably if the skating gods will turn the odds in my favor instead of Nathan Chen, who is still yet to perform. The quad machine, America's golden kid and definitely one of my most formidable opponent in this competition.

"Come on Yuzu." Suddenly coach Brian said, beckoning me to go to the backstage now.

I quickly stood up followed. But instead of settling on the waiting area, I excused myself and to go to the washroom a bit. I just wanted to wash my face, freshen up and probably reflect some more about my mistakes.

I was about to enter the men's washroom when all of a sudden..

"Hanzu!" I heared someone called from behind.

My heartbeat started to beat erratically in positive anticipation. I didn't have to see to know who it was though. Ever since, only one person is known to address me that weird nickname. She came up with it in the first place.

Tala Salonga. The girl with a remarkable skating prowess and an unwordly beauty (literally), who also happened to be my newest training mate at Toronto Cricket and Curling Club.

I quickly turned around. A mixture of excitement, nervousness and happiness surged within me all at the same time at the moment.

"Tala!" I shrieked her name, sounding a bit more animated than I intended to be.

Geez!

Suddenly I wanted to laugh at myself for I'm pretty sure that my cheeks flamed a little at that. If Javi was here, he would surely jumped into the opportunity to endlessly tease me. Thank goodness he's inside the waiting area at the moment though.

Upon hearing that acknowlegement, a beautiful smile instantly graced Tala's face. She's walking towards me now and stopped when there is only a meter distance left in between the two of us.

"Yes? You need anything." I asked, being the polite Japanese that I am.

She chuckled and shook her head in amusement. "Oh the ever so formal Mr. Hanzu."

Her laugh sounded like music to my ears that I can't help but get lost in it.

"Sorry, just a habit." I replied with a small smile.

"Yeah I know." She muttered when her giggles subsided. "I'm here 'coz I just want to give you something."

Then out of blue, Tala reveal something from her back, which she carefully been hiding all the while (I just noticed now) and handed it to me. "Ta da!"

Apparently it was a cute Winnie The Pooh stuffed toy, which is about a size of a tea cup puppy.

"Oh Pooh-san!" I blurted with a chuckle. "For me?"

She nodded. "Someone is selling them outside. I thought they're really cute so I bought one."

And she's giving it to me? I thought to myself.

Overwhelming euphoria suddenly surged within me but I kept my cool still.  Instead I asked casually. "Thanks but what for?"

"Nothing. I just thought that you would love to have lots of Pooh company today so here it is. Come on take it."

I took Pooh from her hands.

The happiness that I am currently feeling is now mixed with warmth all of a sudden. I know it's crazy but I just can't help thinking that she gave the Pooh to me to cheer me up after a disastrous FP.

"Thanks again." I mused, my smile lingering.

"You're welcome." She replied equally. "Uhm gotta go now. See you later Hanzu!"
After, she quickly turned around, not even giving me a chance to say anything in return and went straight to the direction towards the girl's dressing room, most probably to get ready for the ladies event.

It leaves me with no choice then but to just shout on her back. "Good luck in your FP!"

Though he hardly needed it. She's a brilliant skater indeed. Artistry and technically wise.

Tala waved her hand midair in acknowledgement of my wish. Her reaction made me laugh once again. I followed her with my gaze until she totally went out of my sight.

After I looked down at Pooh-san on my hands.

This time I let all the emotions that I held earlier and grinned from ear to ear thinking of what happened just now.

It's amazing how that girl can instantly changed my mood from bottom frustrated just a little earlier, to over the tops elated now.

Yeah only Tala Salonga.