18 Scars From The Past

ELLIOT

ELLIOT

One week later during P.E, we were running in circles around the big football field outside the school when Will started to run next to me.

Breathing steadily, I glanced sideways, meeting his sky blue eyes.

"Hey, man." He offered a polite smile.

"Hey, Will," I said, returning the smile.

"Is um...Rachel feeling any better after what happened in the classroom a week ago?" His voice was gentle, but filled with concerned and a hint of guilt.

The breakup.

"Yeah, she's doing better. Not great, but definitely better," I assured, truthfully.

The slightest of relief broke out on his face and he nodded before we slowed down our speed, now jogging next to each other.

"You're taking good care of her," he stated, glancing at the path ahead of us.

"Care? In case you haven't noticed, she's not very fond of me," I admitted, slightly scoffing of his statement.

Will smiled genuinely. "Doesn't matter. If it wasn't for you, she would have killed herself a long time ago. Thanks for taking so good care of her."

After everything that had happened, he still cared. A lot. Did Rachel even know that?

"No problem," I replied. Wiping the sweat off my forehead, I glanced up at the alive blue sky and the bright sun. It was oddly warm at the end of February.

I had been here at this school for almost two months now. Meaning I had tutored Rachel for almost two months. I hoped she wouldn't fail that history test tomorrow. Anything but an F. Anything.

"Elliot?" Will's voice pulled me out of my thoughts and I blinked twice before glancing at him.

"Huh? Yeah?"

"I know it's a lot to ask for, but can you make Rachel live? Don't let her commit suicide once more?" he requested, attempting to conceal the desperation in his voice.

And when that was said, I immediately stopped in my tracks and swallowed hard before I spoke up.

"I...I promised myself that I'll make her graduate high school. I can keep her alive for around four months more, but after graduation...I'm not sure if I'll play any kind of role in her life anymore," I replied, genuinely.