Part One

"God, you're so annoying." Leo teased his sister Mabel.
"Aw, thanks. I'll take it to heart." The fourteen year old replied dryly, sticking out her blue stained tongue quickly, then realizing what she had done and covered her  lipstick stained mouth.
"Did you.. Drink my Gatorade?" The sixteen  year old inquired, raising his eyebrows.
Mabel shrugged her shoulders, then nodded ever so slightly. Everyone was aware that Leo's Gatorade was strictly off limits. Even Mabel. "You still have a bottle left. Want one?" She offered innocently, but her brother only glared at her. He paced around her on the sidewalk overdramatically. They were walking home from school, and soon, Leo could have blue Gatorade of his own, except...
Leo's light brown eyes grew wide and he motioned so frantically his checkerboard backpack almost fell off his shoulder. "I have to go, like right now!" He exclaimed to his sister, and checked his phone. "Of course I'm late." He muttered, then turned and was about to bolt in the other direction.
"What's wrong?" His sister asked, cocking her head so her wavy blonde hair fell over her eyes. Leo gave no answer, but started running. Sighing, Mabel, continued walking home, but alone this time. She couldn't remember the last time she walked home alone, except when Leo had decided to become a dog walker, so he rode the bus home to save his energy. And that was a while ago. Had Leo mentioned anything lately? And when was the last time he actually went to a friend's house? All of these thoughts eluded Mabel as soon as she walked in her front door though, as her TV and all the lights were on. "Hello?" She called out, expecting her mother to answer. She walked cautiously, almost tiptoeing in her sneakers. No reply. Mabel dialed her mother's number in her phone rapidly, and prayed she would pick up. She didn't. Stupid job not allowing personal calls on company time, Mabel thought. She called her father. No response, either. Go figure.
   "I am SO sorry I'm late." Apologized Leo, panting,  as he sat his backpack on an expensive looking dining room table. He unzipped his bag and retrieved a textbook, and his laptop.
"It's fine. I kinda forgot too." Calvin said cooly, swiping his long blonde hair from his eyes. Leo observed that he was smiling ever so slightly. "Anyway, wanna get to work?" Leo's classmate asked, sitting down on the table where his own laptop was located, and opening it. Leo nodded, and sat down beside him, so close their legs almost touched. Slightly uncomfortable, Calvin scooted away a bit.
The redhead chuckled slightly, and moved away too. "Heh. Sorry about that." He apologized awkwardly, making that his second apology in the last five minutes. Calvin waved it off casually.
"It's fine." He replied, then returned to his original position, this time only barely touching Leo. "So, are you doing the PowerPoint, or can I do it? I'm really good with shit like this." The blonde asked, once again fixing his hair. Leo had never heard his classmate swear before, or really talk for more than a few sentences for that matter. Leo nodded, although he had been hoping to do the PowerPoint.
"I'll do the research then. I'm not that good with 'shit like this'." Leo replied, smirking. Calvin smirked as well, when his mom came in.
"Are you two having fun?" She asked, and Leo took a minute to take her all in. She had short, jet black bobbed hair, and was wearing a ruby red pantsuit. She looked more like an anime character than someone's mother. Leo and Calvin both shrugged.
"As fun as eubacteria can get." Calvin replied, glancing at his phone to check the time. His mother chuckled.
"I'm going to the office to check on a few things, okay? Will you two be fine here?" The two boys nodded. "Great. I'll be home around six." And with that, Clara Lionheart had left the home. The two continued to work on their project, Leo doing the research and reading it aloud to Calvin, who typed in the fanciest font Leo had ever seen.
He was a bit anxious to get home, as he knew Mabel would be worrying about him, and his phone had died. In a rush to get to school on time, the sixteen  year old hadn't had any time to charge his phone, or even eat breakfast. He was extremely hungry since his lunch was god awful cafeteria food.
"Can we take a break?" Asked Leo, scratching his ginger hair. His project partner shrugged.
"Sure. You hungry?" Calvin replied, getting out of his seat. His classmate got out of his too, and the both started toward what Leo assumed to be the kitchen. The redhead nodded, adding that his last meal was the dreaded cafeteria food. "I've never had cafeteria food, actually." Calvin admitted.
"Really?" Leo asked, legitimately shocked. His classmate nodded.
"I either pack my lunch or get fast food." He revealed, shrugging.
"Maybe I should eat with you some time." Leo suggested jokingly. Calvin then mumbled something that Leo couldn't quite hear. The blonde opened the glossy metallic fridge when they finally ended their treacherous journey.
"Anything you fancy?" Calvin asked, gesturing theatrically to the array of snacks. Leo nodded, and grabbed an apple. Calvin stifled a laugh. "Just an apple? You know I want to be a doctor, don't you?" Leo smirked.
"'Stay back, foul beast! Never shall I get my flu shot!'" The redhead joked, jumping into a fearsome pose, holding his apple as if it were a weapon. The two laughed, and Leo grabbed a few more things from the fridge. Calvin got a sparkling water. "Santé!" He exclaimed, clinking it against Leo's normal water once they returned to the table.
"I didn't know you spoke French." Leo said admiringly, shoving a potato chip in his mouth. His partner shrugged, and then fixed his hair again. A little bit of pink rose up in his cheeks.
"It's nothing really. I only know a few words. I want to visit Paris one day." He said humbly, smiling.
"I've been wanting to learn. Could you teach me, s'il vous plait?" Leo asked, pronouncing the last part so horribly Calvin may have cringed if he weren't as polite as he was. The blonde nodded.
"It'd give us an excuse to hang out more." He replied, and Leo nodded. After consuming all of their food, the two returned to work. Eubacteria wasn't all that interesting, but the pair shared occasional jokes, laughing more, and planning to hang out soon. They exchanged numbers right before Leo left.
"My phone's dead, but I'll text you when I get home. So you know it's me." Leo said, and then started to walk home.