Part Three

"I'm not late today. Aren't you proud?" Said Leo, grinning as he sat next to Calvin. They were in the dining room once again, both laptops on the table and ready to be used. Calvin tried to force a smile.
"Very proud." He replied, fake chuckling. Leo was no psychologist, but even he could tell something was wrong. He turned to Calvin in his seat, his feet almost touching his partner's.
"What's wrong?" The redhead asked, a look of genuine concern on his face. Calvin stayed silent.
"You're talking even less than usual, and that's saying something for you, Calvin." Leo tried to get him to crack, but he couldn't. He didn't talk at all. "Okay then. Let's do it your way. Let's bottle up our emotions until one day we start crying at a ketchup commercial. That's always fun." Calvin finally sighed.
"If you want to know so badly, here it is. I've had the shittiest day today. No one sat with me at lunch except this annoying ass girl who pitied me but wouldn't stop talking about herself. I embarrassed myself in French class by nearly winning an Olympic medal for speed, and I also left my brand new phone in my locker." Calvin's voice was mixed with anger and self pity, and he just crossed his arms and stared into the laptop screen. Leo stifled a laugh, and thankfully was fairly successful at it.
"That's it? I thought your grandmother died or something. We all have bad days, Calvin. For example, I may have been robbed yesterday, and also, my phone died so my sister freaked out. Anyway, we all have to learn to deal with it instead of being super pissed at your really attractive project partner." The last part made Calvin laugh ever so slightly and cheered him up ever so slightly. He looked at Leo, finally.
"That was very inspirational, however, I wasn't pissed at my 'really attractive project partner', more like I was pissed at the whole universe in general, not just you. So yeah." Calvin explained, making Leo laugh. "Should we get to working on the project?" He finally asked, already starting to tap on the keyboard. Leo nodded.
"We can finish it tonight, if I slept over. We wouldn't have to work on it tomorrow during lunch." Leo suggested, shrugging. Calvin turned to look at him.
"I mean, my mom is probably cool with it. And you won't see any of my sister. Just ask your parents, I guess." He replied, then turned back to the computer. Leo nodded.
"Can I borrow your phone charger? So I can call my mom?" He asked. Calvin nodded, and got up to retrieve one. While he was gone, Leo drummed his fingers silently against the table. Calvin returned and handed him a white cable. It looked almost brand new. "Thank you." The redhead said, and the blonde nodded. Then the two got back to work.
"Hey, Calvin, you up?" Leo whispered to the seemingly sleeping body next to him.
"Yeah." Calvin replied, turning over to face Leo. Although it was dark, he could see Leo frowning.
"We forgot to do something on the project." He whispered, scratching his head.
"What was it?" Calvin asked, whispering as well.
"We need to get pictures. I forgot to tell you that, since you're doing the PowerPoint. We need to do that or it's negative ten or fifteen points." Leo explained. He could hear Calvin sigh, and he got up. Leo hasn't realized how little he was wearing. Only black boxers, while Leo was still wearing his school clothing from the day before. He felt overdressed. Calvin walked over to where his laptop was, retrieved it, and he sat on the edge of the bed while he booted the laptop on. He beckoned Leo to come closer as he signed into his account. The redhead obliged and sat next to him. Calvin opened up PowerPoint and selected their science project.
"Where would we add the pictures?" Calvin thought aloud, as he opened a Google tab and searched for eubacteria. Leo waited for him to open the slideshow again, then pointed in multiple places where they could place the glorious images. Calvin nodded, then glanced at the clock on the laptop. "Well, shit. It's 3AM. We have to get up in 4 hours." Leo looked at the clock too, and both sighed.
"I love getting a greaat 5 hours of sleep." The redhead mumbled, and then crawled back to his original position once Calvin had added the pictures. Calvin climbed beside him, and turned the other way. Two days I've known him and now I'm sleeping with him, Calvin thought. Better not make this more awkward than it has to be by staring at him. The two both tried to drift asleep, but neither could rest. It was too quiet for either of them. As if the universe heard their silent pleads, it started to rain. At first, the raindrops softly tapped against the window.
❗️(play video)❗️Then, lightning and thunder started appearing. Calvin had had an uncontrollable fear of thunder ever since he was younger. What a great time to have a new friend over. He tried to hold still, but whenever thunder boomed, he nearly jumped. Leo seemed to sense this and sacrificed his blanket and nudged it towards Calvin. Calvin nodded gratefully, and made a soft, cotton cocoon. The lightning could be seen from the room's many small windows. The thunder could be heard booming from the sky. He tried taking deep breaths, but he couldn't keep calm. He was almost shaking under all of his blankets at one point. Leo didn't know what to do. He didn't want to make it awkward by trying to comfort him physically, as they hadn't even known each other for a week.
Leo shifted closer to Calvin, and sat up slightly, his head resting on his hand. "It's going to be okay." He whispered, hoping the universe would hear their silent pleads again. Calvin nodded, trembling.
"It's going to be fine." He mumbled, trying to comfort himself. Leo shifted slightly, now so close he could hear Calvin breathing. Calvin seemed to sense his presence, and calmed down slightly. The rain and thunder stopped, but small flashes of lightning remained for a bit longer. Calvin laid there, much more still than before, and slowly drifted off to sleep. Leo fell asleep shortly afterwards.