What Happened to Iremia

//It is important you read the chapter "You Deserve Better" before this.//

After her father had left, little Iremia Primrose Holmes lay in her blanket, looking about her with a fear. Sherrinford had never left her alone. He always came back, always. He had given her to a strange woman, and then he had gone. Where was he? She waited. Strange people moved about her, they were loud, and it disturbed her. She wanted the tall man who always carried her with him. She began to cry. No one understood what she wanted. They gave her a bottle of milk, and that made Iremia drowsy. Her little eyelids closed. 

Voices woke her. Some more noisy people were talking over her. "I'm here to adopt a child. A little Miss Holmes." 

The man who had spoken was had a soft, accented voice. He had a funny smile, and after he had written out some forms, he turned to look at Iremia. "Hello darling," he said softly, and ran touched her hand. "What fun we will have." 

The baby girl didn't gurgle, but nor did she cry. 

James Moriarty lifted her out of the cot. "Ah yes, just like your mother, aren't you?" 

Iremia stared at him. He wasn't loud, or scary like the other strangers. He was warm, and smiled at her. She liked him. 

He tucked the blanket more closely about her, and with a few short words to the managers, James walked out of the room, his dark eyes twinkling in mirth. He had struck a blow against Sherrinford, that he would never get over.