The Explanation

“What?” Lestrade, John and the Witness said in sync. Sherlock remained impassive.
She smiled, letting her hand drop. “It’s obvious. Like, incredibly obvious. Lestrade was right, of course – two people getting injured, two people who only got injured after they were selected to be the representative for ‘finals’. Oh please.” She looked at the witness. “You said it yourself – She was usually very precautious. Even stressed out, she wouldn’t be stupid enough to risk her life in a foolish stunt like this, all alone. No, the opposite - she’d want some there to give her feedback. This alone is suspicious – but the fact that the last person to be in the room before Fry used the equipment was you? I assume your name is Ryan? Well Ryan, tell me this, if you are innocent, why are you here at 10pm, when the gym shuts at 9:30. I mean, Jeanette was the last person scheduled today.”
“I…got a text…and I told her I’d be late,” the guy stuttered.
“So you are Ryan then. Fine. Show us the texts.”
“What?”
“On your phone. Show us.”
“I deleted them.” The man stammered, showing signs of pressure. Saying that just confirmed his guilt, and he realised it. “My phone… it’s old. It doesn’t hold much memory.”
“Oh.” Avery said. “Don’t worry. I’m sure the texts are still on Jeanette’s phone. Aren’t they? You forgot about that.”
The man’s eyes widened. “No. No. I. No!” he yelled, rushing at her so suddenly that no one had time to react.  “You stupid bitch! You ruined it.”
Avery waited till the last second possible, and punched him out.