ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1

"DID SHE SAY WHAT SHE WANTED?" Damon asked his brother, almost hesitantly.

"No."

"Well, that woman certainly knows how to make an entrance," remarked Damon with a huff.

"She said," Stefan began, unsure, "or rather implied that she left to protect us." When Damon didn't seem surprised, Stefan looked perplexed, "Why are you not surprised?"

Damon shrugged his shoulders, leaning against the wall he stood in front of this whole time, "She pretended to be Elena when I showed up earlier tonight. Revealed herself later. Stabbed John for trying to fry us."

Minutes later, Elena came downstairs and entered the kitchen the informing the brothers of her decision. "I told Jeremy," she starts, "I can't lie to him anymore."

"Are you alright?" inquired Stefan concerned.

Catherine, who had been listening to the whole thing outside, huffed. She can't, for the life of her, figure out why people would risk their lives to save her. Elena was no Mother Teresa, that's for sure. Yet, people in the town seemed to jump at the very first chance to protect her by sacrificing their everything. She can't help but wonder just how powerful the protagonist halo is and if she, a villain, can really sway the Slavatore's trust in her favor. Or, at least, enough to not kill her the first chance they will get.

"No, I'm not alright. I thought that with all the tomb vampires gone, things would get better," Elena said in an exasperated tone, waving her arms as she spoke.

"I know. We all did," said the Bambi eating Vampire.

"Katherine was in this house, that means she's been invited in -what are we gonna do?" The Gilbert girl questioned.

"Move," Damon said, coolly, as if he wasn't phased by the fact that the girl he has been pinning for a century and a half didn't propose to him an hour ago.

"Very helpful, thank you," the human doppelganger replied, sarcastically.

"Look, if Katherine wants you dead, then there's zero chance you can do anything about it; you would be dead, but you're not. So, clearly, she has other plans," commented Damon with conviction.

"Right, and we need to find out what those other plans are, and not provoke her in the process," said Stefan in a thoughtful tone, and questioned his brother, after a moment, "What happened tonight when you thought she was Elena?"

"To risk another frown line encroaching on a very crowded forehead. We...kissed, and then Katherine proceeded to tell me that she was disappointed with me for doing that, and she loved me and that she did what she did to protect us, but she can't say what it is," Damon confided.