ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 8

"I DIDN'T EXPECT THIS FROM YOU, KATHERINE," I heard Stefan's voice through the phone. "You should at least complete what you have started."

What? Is he talking about my kiss with Elijah? No, there's no way he would know about that. It happened like 10 minutes ago, and I am already out of the house.

"Er ―What are you talking about?" I asked, slightly nervous.

"You, playing Elena's role, of course," he says like it was the obvious thing in the world. "When you started a drama, you should also be the one to complete the act. Jenna called a few minutes ago to ask when will Elena arrive home. Apparently, she was running around Mystic falls, attending tea parties with charming men, while I went to see my non-existent sick grandmother in Italy. Ring any bells?" he asked sarcastically.

"Yeah, about that ―I had to come up with some possible explanations, thanks to an Original control freak of a vampire," I sighed, shaking my head. "So, what now? What do you want me to do?" I asked

"You don't need to do anything. I already said that I am having a sleepover at Caroline's," grumbled Elena from another end of the phone. Caroline?!! Caroline―

"Oh my God, Elena. You are amazing and stupidly brilliant," I declared loudly. "I would've kissed you if you were in front of me for giving me such a great idea," I thanked God for making my double say something good for the first time since my transmigration.

"What―" the doppelganger asked in a confused tone.

"―Never mind that, doppelganger," I waved her off. "Keep using your brain like that in the future, as well. Now I gotta go. Bye Stefan, see you when you will be back." With that, I hung up the phone, but not before hearing Elena's warning to go to her house tomorrow morning to visit Jenna.

"Oh, Elena! Caroline didn't inform me that you will be coming tonight," said Sheriff when she saw me at her doorstep in the middle of the night.

"Kat―" Caroline greeted, over Sheriff's shoulder, but stopped mid-sentence, "―I mean, Elena. What a surprise. You didn't tell me you will be coming," she said, walking into my view, past her mother. Her eyes were questioning.

"Hey, Caroline!" I said with false cheer when I looked at her, "I ―I came to have a sleepover. Hope you don't mind." I sent an apologetic look to her mother for coming in announced. The Sheriff just waved it off with a smile and went back inside, leaving us to our discussion.

"We will be in my room, mom," Caroline called over her shoulders, dragging me along with her. God! Is this girl any day not excited.

As soon as she closed her bedroom door behind us, she turned around. "So ―spill," she said, pushing me on the bed and keeping a hand on her waist.