|03|

"SPEAK OF THE DEVIL

"SPEAK OF THE DEVIL..."

|03|

LILIAN THOUGHT BACK TO HER NEWEST CASE: the disappearance of Sam Uley, her own family. It was weird. One moment, Lilian had been able to track him down, follow his every step... then, his footprints disappeared. Sam Uley had disappeared in a scene of claws, sand and no blood. There had been clear footprints of an animal, not a bear, but it'd be big enough. The footprint had the shape of the paw of a wolf, but it most certainly wasn't a wolf. The footprint was too big to be a wolf.

"Strange..." Lilian muttered, her hands squeezing the leather of the driver's wheel in a habit. This could just be the first case that she wouldn't solve.

Her head was aching from thinking, her heart drowned in worry. Her mind was resetting the day, follow all the important lines.

The fact that she hadn't been able to find any clue, was the reason of her irritated behavior. She needed more clues. There was no way that Sam just disappeared, and that a monster, bigger than a bear, rapid like a wolf, could just pass by two seconds later. It was impossible. Lilian pushed the accelerator completely down and raced towards her house. She had to loosen the disarray that settled down in her head. It had to go away. It didn't make her think clearly and Lilian hated it. If she didn't have her head clear, she wasn't herself.

When her car pulled up their driveway, Lilian saw that the Volvo hadn't gone yet.

"Well, great." Lilian muttered, stalking towards the house. She opened the front door and walked right into Hale and Bronzy, who were entangled in a conversation, which Lilian couldn't hear, for they were whispering.

"Lilian! Nice to see you here." Bronzy greeted, earning nothing but a scowl in return. Lilian marched into her room and slammed the door shut. She started to unpack her backpack and looked at the evidence and information that she'd found.

"Ugh! Nothing!" She groaned, as she sat down on her bed and rubbed her temples, trying to burst the bubble where her brain was currently in. To burst into the world of answers.

"Can I come in?" A soft voice, a whisper without the pain Lilian had heard before, asked. "I've knocked multiple times."

Lilian inhaled sharply, before looking up at Jasper Hale, giving the guy a nod in respond.

Edward sat in front of him, babbling about how the Stanley-girl had already asked him out several times. "I mean, that girl can't take no for an answer.  You aren't listening to my complaining at all, are you?" Jasper shook his head, waking up from his daydream. 

On the background, the two vampires could hear the quiet conversation Alice was having with Collin. Just the normal conversations between new friends, with some flirting here and there. Alice had told Edward and Jasper that Collin was the boy she'd seen in her vision. Her vision that predicted her future love. She still had to discuss with the family when it came down on telling Collin about them, though.