16 | Cards

"THERE YOU ARE"

Nyla leaped back and nearly crashed into the standing table but caught her footing the last minute.

"If you do that again, I'm going to tie bells around your neck," she warned Darius.

He merely smiled. "I'd love to see you try."

"Don't test me."

He gently took her elbow. "I won't, but you promised me a dance."

"Did not."

"Did too."

They went back and forth for a few minutes until Nyla was exasperated. "We can't dance anyway because the music is finished!"

Darius turned around and Nyla knew he saw the same scene as her. The D.J was packing away his equipment. With a determined looked in his eyes, Nyla watched as Darius approached the D.J. They chatted for a few minutes and then funnily enough, the D.J placed back some of his equipment and music began to flow in the now empty backyard. Most of the guest had left and the cleaning crew had come in.

"There's music now." Darius said in a matter-of-fact-tone.

Nyla knew she wouldn't be winning this battle, so she grabbed his hand. "Fine, if I step on your expensive shoes and ruin the crease—don't blame me."

"I'll just make you order me a new pair," Darius said smoothly.

Nyla sighed. She didn't really know where to place her hand, but Darius gently removed her fingers from the air and placed it upon his right shoulder.

"It won't be to bad," he whispered noticing Nyla's frantic glance.

He stepped closer and Nyla got a whiff of his cologne. It smelt tangy and she noted the slight scent of peppermint. It was unexpected—but it still smelt like him. With the distance closed, she could see his eyes flickering between blue and black with the lighting. Ultimately, she decided that his eyes had swirls of both.

"Follow my lead." Darius said as he guided her through the steps slowly.

She didn't know what dance they were performing, and she stepped on his toes more than once. To his credit, he didn't flinch but instead slowed day even more so she could keep up. Towards the end of the dance, she was starting to get a hang of the steps and was able to hear the music clearly now. Her rhythm matched the crescendo of the music and it was clear that Darius knew what he was doing.

The two of them were silent for most of the dance and it was over before she knew it. The music died down slowly, the last notes hanging in the air for seconds longer. As the two of them parted, Nyla was surprised to find herself sad that it was over.

Noticing her contemplation, Darius chuckled softly. "Don't be sad, I'm sure I'll whisk you away for a dance some other time."

Nyla returned to her haughtiness. "Good luck trying that."

Darius eyes crinkled but he didn't say anything else.

"Do you need a ride home?"

Nyla looked at the time before nodding. "Yes please."

He held out his elbow and Nyla looped her arm through it. "What a nice gentleman," she teased.

"I do try." He replied.

The two of them walked to his car before Nyla slipped into the passenger seat.

For the most part, they were quite during the ride and Nyla watched the tall buildings blur past her one by one.