19 | Grateful

"IF YOU HAD just listened to me and moved a little towards the right, the ball would have gone in!" Nyla shouted at Darius.

Darius walked right up to Nyla until they were only a couple of centimetres away. "You think you're such a know-it-all but there were at least five shots you missed earlier that I would have putted in!"

Nyla laughed in a shrill manner. "You are so arrogant and selfish!"

"So are you."

Back and forth they went on. Insulting each other and yelling. People around them continued staring but Nyla didn't care.

"And when someone needs help you just disappear. Why are you even here for the final round? Why don't you just leave like you did weeks ago!"

Darius looked down now murderous now. However, before he could say anything, Vincent meekly cut in. "As much as I'm enjoying the argument between the two of you, it's your turn."

Darius lined up to take the shot, but Nyla pushed him aside. "Move, I'll do it."

He didn't say anything but simply watched as Nyla putted the ball in the final hole. A cheer went up from the rest of the spectators. She shot Darius a confused look.

"We've won," he said dryly.

Nyla pushed back a lock of black hair. "Really?"

Darius nodded. Before Nyla knew what, she was doing, she pulled Darius into a hug. "We won!" she repeated excitedly.

When she realized that she was hugging him, Nyla immediately let go. The warmth was lost but she could have sworn, she saw a little bit of disappointment in Darius' eyes. The team they had been competing against came over to congratulate them. They both accepted the felicitations. More people began congratulating them and soon Darius and Nyla were separated by a crowd of people. Reporters were mixed into the group as well and Nyla did her best to represent the company and indicate that things were fine between her and Darius.

It was a little while later when she heard her name being called repeatedly. She spun around to see that it was Darius calling her. He was in the corner of the golf course—away from most of the people. Nyla walked over to him, "What's up?"

"I want you to meet someone."

Nyla looked around, "Who?"

Darius held up his phone. On the screen Nyla could see a light-haired girl in a wheelchair.

"This is my sister Lily."

Nyla smiled and waved at the phone. "Hi! It's nice to meet you."

Lily wasn't looking at her but staring at something else in the distance.

"Lily," Darius said softly. "This is my friend Ny-la."

Lily looked at the camera. "Nla?"

"Ny-la." Darius repeated her name slowly.

It took a while but after a few more tries, Lily was able to get her name.

"When I come to visit you again, I'll bring her with me. Is that okay?"

Lily clapped and there was a loud shriek. Darius laughed and exchanged an amused smile with her. "I'm guessing that she's okay with it."

He spoke for a few minutes with her before ending the call.

"I didn't know." Nyla blurted out.

"Not many people do." Darius said. "I'm not ashamed of her but if people knew, she might get more press and attention. Lily really hates that."