Chapter Six

*7 Years Later*

A splash hits my wings and I shake off my scales. The little children giggle shamelessly and I whip around, haunches raised and eyes narrowed.

"You've just started a war you can't win." I threaten teasingly. Alissa's twin dragonet's eyes widen and they bolt off into the trees with loud squealing and giggling. I take off after them, flying above to spot them easier. They're running through the undergrowth with instinctual silence.

With a grin, I swoop down and grab Kassie with my back claws, gently so as not to penetrate her weak scales and hurt her. She squawks in surprise and Clarissa looks back to see her twin in my clutches. Clarissa flaps her wings in a clumsy attempt to get away and I smirk.

I let out an evil laugh and swipe up Clarissa with my front paws. She shrieks happily. In a few fast wingbeats, I drop them back on the ground next to their parents. Alissa's mate looks down at the twins in amusement while Alissa sends me a grin.

"If that's the penalty for my children throwing water at you, what would happen to me?" She jokes, eliciting a laugh out of me.

I swat at her playfully. "You want to find out?"

She snorts humourlessly. "Not even a little bit. We both know you could catch me in 0.5 seconds flat." Her mate chuckles and I rub my head against hers in a show of affection.

I glance up at the blue sky. It's been seven years since we escaped that awful lab. The white aliens who destroyed humans got a taste of their own medicine a few months later when a bunch of green aliens came and annihilated them.

They call themselves the Kymari. They have a strange humanoid shape with green skin and black hair with each strand being around the thickness of a piece of spaghetti. They're very large, both with muscles and with height. They stand about ten feet tall and are powerful adversaries but are still able to move quite quickly if they chose.

For a reason unknown to us, all dragonets have pocket knowledge about both the Kymari and the white aliens that happen to appear out of thin air. It's like we have forgotten memories tucked under each scale. We call these bits of sourceless knowledge 'Blood Memories' as they came with our new bodies. With our blood memories, we're also able to understand the Kymari's dialogue.

The Kymari are fierce fighters, only peaceable with their own people. From what we know, they'll only tolerate other races for trading or alliances. They're the kind of race that shoots the first gun when another race steps out of line or causes trouble for them. They didn't seem to have many rivals as all Kymari tend to band together in a horrifying retaliation, even if you only attack or offend one of them.

I fly up into the trees and soar overhead a well-used path. The Kymari like to take walks in the park and have built a few trails. I pass by three Kymari and settle onto a tree above to observe them.

The males often wear armor on their chests or forearms and always carry at least one weapon, normally two. Based on what I've seen before, the women never wear armor but do tend to have a knife or dagger strapped onto their belts.

The males always carry around these weird extendable spears that collapse into a tube the size of their rather large hands. Quite a few are prone to taking some sort of energy weapon as well.