Chapter 26

"I can't believe that the wedding is tomorrow!" Cara exclaims as she pours a bucket of water into the giant washing barrel.

"Me neither," I say, trying to hide my emotions behind the words.

Today seems to never end, dragging along at a snail's pace. When I left my room this morning, Queen Madia was already in a foul mood. Even though I got up half an hour earlier than usual, she still claimed that I woke up too late. While she scolded me for the "terrible crime I had committed", I can't help but feel even more disgusted by her. Her voice is like poison to my ears now. Her hands are like claws as she awaits her next innocent victim to claw into her depressing hole of torment. After she was done with me, I stood tall and left to go do my chores for the day, as if nothing ever happened. It's a symbol of the strength I have now grown accustomed to.

There are so many people here, that I have to squeeze past everyone. Whether it'd be a fellow maid or a member of the wedding. And honestly, that's how my brain feels at the moment. It's over run by a million different thoughts, that I really don't know what to do anymore.

"Lily!" Alice and Cara yell in unison, obviously disturbing the neighboring maids.

"Oh- uh, sorry girls. What happened?"

They give me concerned looks as they look at my hands. I've been washing the same pair of pants for the past ten minutes.

"Are you okay, girl?" Cara asks with genuine concern.

Alice gives me a knowing look, showing sympathy in her eyes.

"I'm fine!" I say with a fake smile plastered across my face.

"Nice try, Lily. I'm not too convi-"

"WELL, will you look at the time! I have to go wash some sheets. I'll catch up with you girls later!"

With that, I rush out like a bullet. I feel so bad having to hide everything from Cara. But, I have to. For her safety.

I mean, I didn't technically lie. I do need to clean Fredrick's room today. I make my way to one of the many broom closets, grabbing the supplies I will need for the job.

"Um, excuse me! Sorry! I apologize!" I say as I push through the random crowd.

I just had to choose the closet closest to the lobby. Once I basically push myself out of the crowd, I can hear the murmuring of the wealthy with their beady eyes judging my every step.

"Just look at that pathetic little twig."

"Eew! Mother, that peasant touched me with her filth!"

Just another day in paradise.

I walk through the royal halls, as the guests are prohibited to step through here. The red carpet lightly crunches as I step through the silent hall way. Well, almost silent. I can hear the high pitched giggling from Lady Adora's room. As I walk in front of it, I see the bride-to-be standing tall on a high pedestal. The designer is putting her finishing touches on the extravagant wedding dress, which really does hug her curvy figure. The train is extremely long with touches of lace all throughout the elegant gown. The back is low, showing enough skin for the average male to admire. How could Fredrick find me beautiful? Adora looks like a fantasy.

As I sneak past the door, I accidentally bump into a person. It startles me so much that I accidentally spray the bottle of cleaning liquid on this surprise stranger. I look up the plump figure, to find that I had accidentally sprayed Sir Louis! The look of immense fury sends a terrified shiver down my spine.

"Oh my goodness! Sir Louis, I am SO sorry!" I express, trying to use my rag to clean the wet spot on his white dress shirt.

"Get away from me! You've done quite enough, thank you."