Chapter 6

Chapter Six - Key to My Heart

I wake the next morning in slight disorientation before everything hits me all at once; using my gift, ending up in the vampire kingdom, finding Asher. Sitting up, I look towards the window to find it dark still which makes me frown. Does the sun even come out here? I wonder to myself. I climb off the bed and make my way into the en-suite bathroom. All I remember from yesterday is talking to Asher in the kitchen before he noticed that I was getting sleepy. He gave me the spare room next to his, telling me that I can move into his whenever I'm ready. I found it incredibly sweet that he always thinks about my comfort before his.

The room I'm in is quite nice with brown and cream paint on the walls, a queen-sized bed in the middle with a bathroom to the right and a spacious wardrobe to the left. There's dark brown, wooden bedside tables on each side of the bed with lamps on them. A television screen hangs on the wall in front of the bed and there's a chest of drawers by the window. The mattress is the softest with its cosy blankets and although I woke up confused this morning, I can't deny that I had the best night's sleep.

Quickly brushing and washing my face, I take a long shower before dressing in a red hoodie and black jeans. Tying my hair in a ponytail after blow drying it, I slip my shoes on before opening the door. I nearly jump out of my skin when I see Asher standing there. He chuckles, taking my hand and intertwining it with his before leading me down the hallway.

"Sleep well?"

"Like a baby." I grin, loving the sound of his laughter. "The bed felt like I was sleeping on a cloud!"

Asher guides me into a dining room where it's only us, a delicious breakfast spread set out on the table. Taking a seat to his right, he tells me to have whatever I want. There are waffles, pancakes, fresh fruit, smoothies and so much more! A maid comes out with a glass of red liquid, making me watch as Asher takes a few sips. He stares back at me, licking the drop of blood from his lips before nodding at my plate as if telling me to start eating.

"What are your plans for today?" I ask, pouring myself some orange juice.

"I have paperwork to do and a lot of meetings." He replies, making me wonder what I can get up to in the castle.

I didn't want to spend my time here being bored out of my mind, but I'm not going to be selfish and take Asher away from his duties either. Maybe I could take a walk and explore the castle. Although, when I glance at the windows in the dining room and see the gloomy weather, I doubt there will be much to do outside.

"Why is it so dark here all the time?" I ask suddenly, wondering why I haven't seen any sunlight since the day I arrived in this kingdom.

"We're vampires, remember?" He smiles boyishly, draining the glass. "The sun will burn our skin, so when this realm was created at the request of whoever the king was at the time, he asked for there to be no sunlight. Why, you don't like it?"

My nose scrunches in dislike which he chuckles at. "No, it's kind of depressing."

"I'll figure something out to make you happy, my queen." He murmurs teasingly, grinning when a fierce blush graces my cheeks.

"You don't have to. Just because I'm not fond of it now doesn't mean I won't get used to it." I smile shyly, popping the last bite of waffle in my mouth.

He sits in silence, staring ahead with a faraway look in his eyes. When I finish and a maid takes my plate for me, he seems to snap out of his trance. Looking at me with a smile, he stands and asks me to follow him. Puzzled, I slip my hand in his and let him take me wherever it is he plans to go.