Epilogue

Epilogue - Heir

"Breathe, baby. You're doing great." Asher murmurs as another contraction hits me.

I groan in pain, clenching his hands as he holds me. When the pain lessens, I sit back on my exercise ball and start to move from side to side. I've been in active labor since three in the morning, it's seven now and I am only four centimeters dilated but my water did break. My mom will be arriving shortly to help me get through this as I'm in an intense amount of pain, even when I'm experiencing no contractions.

"Come on, let's get you to the stairs." Asher pulls me up gently, guiding me to the door.

The guards that would usually be standing in the hallway are all gone. Asher didn't want them to be here while I'm in labor and only dressed in a light t-shirt and panties. I found that walking up and down the stairs helped my cervix dilate much quicker so I have been switching from the exercise ball to the stairs and back to bed rest whenever I become tired and out of breath.

Whimpering in pain, I rub my belly in an attempt to calm my son down as I make my way down the stairs and back up again. I make sure not to push myself too hard as I don't want my body to be extremely tired when it comes to birthing. Asher is by my side, motivating me to keep going and rubbing my sore muscles when I stop to rest.

After I've walked up and down the stairs a few times, we go back to our bedroom so that I can rest. Doctor Maeve, a black-haired woman with deep chocolate skin, comes in and examines me to check my cervix after another two hours. She smiles and nods when I ask if everything is okay, telling me that I have dilated to six centimeters and that I can be moved to my room in the hospital wing now.

Sighing in relief, Asher grabs the hospital bag we had packed before helping me walk downstairs. I must stop several times due to intense contractions that are coming in fast now, holding my belly as the pain washes over me. Annoyingly, my teeth are chattering and all I want to eat is ice.

As soon as we enter the room, I see my mom waiting for me in a chair by the bed. Tears fill my eyes and I sob as I waddle over to her. Her tight embrace comforts me as she whispers words of encouragement and understanding in my ear, rubbing my aching back soothingly.

"Everything hurts so much, mom! I can't do this!" I cry into her shoulder, my body wracking with sobs.

"Yes, you can honey. It hurts a lot more because he's a hybrid, they tend to suck the life out of you." She chuckles, a reminiscing look in her eyes. "I'll be right here, okay? You're going to be just fine. Both you and the baby will be healthy."

"Why couldn't he just stick to being either a vampire or a werewolf?!" I sniffle, whimpering when pain shoots down my spine.

"At least you know!" My mom laughs, putting my feet up and telling me to lie down. "I thought that was what labor pain was until my doctor told me that it's because you two were hybrids!"

Groaning, I lay there and breathe through the frequent contractions and pain. It's lunchtime now and I'm itching to push my baby out. Eventually, I can't take it anymore and ask Asher to help me to the en-suite bathroom while my mom takes a call from dad. He takes the shower head and turns on the water, holding me as my cries get louder. I feel some relief as the water wets my belly and my core, feeling like they're burning up.

"It's okay, angel. Keep going, you can do this." He kisses my temple, rubbing my naked back.

"You better be happy with just one child." I growl, whimpering when another contraction hits me.