Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve - Psychotic

I take Asher's hand with a smile as he helps me out of the car. We've arrived at the courthouse where the Council is meeting. Asher and I, along with Vito and some other guards, left the castle a little early so that I could look around and take in the city. He was reluctant at first but after much pleading and promising to stay by him or my guards, he finally agreed to let me come.

However, I could only roll down the window as we passed through the city as Asher didn't want to risk anything with Blithe's location still unknown. I understood but it was still sad to see nobody out and about due to Blithe but I enjoyed learning little facts about the buildings.

Unfortunately, Sage couldn't come as she left with Helios this morning. They traveled back to his home in the city but he will also be here to attend the meeting. She has yet to forgive him but I'm sure they'll be okay. It's easy to tell how much they care for one another and although Helios has some making up to do, I know for a fact that they will be just fine.

"Stay by my side, okay?" Asher glances at me worriedly, making me nod. "I'll leave you with Vito when I have to go in, I won't be long."

"I'll be fine, don't worry." I smile, looping my arm through his as we walk through the open doors.

Many people swarm us, wanting to greet the King. Asher tucks me into his side protectively just as a petite woman barges through, yelling at everyone to leave the King alone and that he has a meeting to get to. I chuckle at her boisterous personality, making her send me a wink before she shoos everyone away.

"Cousin." A man calls from behind us, Vito cursing under his breath from beside me.

He's as tall as Vito but leaner, hazel eyes with black hair and angular features. He's dressed in a grey overcoat on top of a white sweater and blue jeans with white shoes. I then register what he had called Asher but he doesn't share any similarity in features to him or Sage. I quickly realize that this is the cousin that angered Blithe by cheating on her, who is now on a path of destruction to find him and exact her revenge.

"Silvano." Asher greets him with distaste, his grip tightening on me when his cousin's eyes roam over me in interest.

"Who is this?" He murmurs with a smirk, a brow arching when I narrow my eyes at him.

"My beloved and your Queen; Ayla Romanov." Asher emphasizes on my title and who I am to him, his voice hard.

"What a smart idea to bring her into the city." He drawls sarcastically, making me scoff.

"Well, people wouldn't be afraid to come out of their homes had you kept it in your pants." I retort, hearing Vito snickering behind me while Asher smirks.

That shuts him up immediately but I can tell my comment really got to him by the way his jaw clenches tightly. He glares at me and I shrug in disinterest. I don't believe I said anything hurtful or offensive, because of him people are getting killed and are now in hiding. Knowing that Blithe is one of the most powerful witches and betraying her trust was not the brightest idea. And now, Asher and his warriors are under pressure to stop this madness.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, I think to myself.

"My King, if you would like to follow me please? They are waiting." A man dressed in a suit interrupts us.

Asher nods before turning to me, a worried yet protective look in his eyes. I smile up at him, squeezing his hand in reassurance. Pushing up on my toes, I press a kiss to his cheek and I catch the soft look in his eyes before it's gone.