Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen - I Spy

Asher Antonov's P.O.V.

"What are you doing?" Vito questions me as I stand before the doors of Ayla's old bedroom.

"Just...don't come in. I mean it." I order, watching them nod.

Ayla had run off again suddenly while we were having lunch, using the same excuse of wanting to go to the library because she didn't feel well. Except I followed her, Vito and Corbin and watched as she lied and told them she would like to go to her bedroom. Not the one we share, but her old one.

Immediately, I use my gift to turn invisible. Vito and Corbin are some of the few people that know about my gift so it isn't a surprise to them when I disappear but they do frown in concern. I walk through the door, my eyes landing on Ayla mumbling to herself in the middle of the room. Tears are streaming down her cheeks and she looks exhausted.

"Please...I-I don't w-want to do t-this anymore!" She cries hysterically, clutching her head in pain. "Leave m-me alone!"

I struggle to maintain my invisible form, desperate to comfort her. But I had to find out why she keeps coming back here. Usually she disappears when I'm not around but today, it's like she didn't care to be subtle. Her arms rise, palms facing outward, but they shake uncontrollably; as if she's struggling with her own body. She cries out when they snap up, as if someone forced her to keep them straight.

"No, no, no!" She clenches her jaw, clearly trying hard to resist. 

Electric blue and silver light illuminates the room chaotically, as if Ayla is trying to teleport but also stopping herself at the same time. I take a step towards her but before I can turn back into my real form, a portal appears in front of her and she vanishes. I stand there in shock, wondering why she would be trying to teleport when I specifically told her that Blithe can manipulate gifts.

My blood runs cold as it all hits me like a freight train. Blithe cast a spell on Ayla and she's been controlling her body and mind. That's why she never remembers how she ended up in a room, why she cries for help and for someone to leave her alone during her nightmares, why she's always drained, why she seems miserable and can never tell me what's really on her mind.

What I don't understand is why Blithe is targeting her. Maybe because Silvano is my cousin? But why get back at me by hurting my beloved? How is that getting revenge on Silvano? I think to myself.

Before I can ponder over my thoughts, Ayla teleports back to the room and slumps to the ground. Her skin is as white as a sheet as she mumbles for someone to leave her alone now that she's done. I assume Blithe is talking to her in her mind, watching as her entire body relaxes. While Blithe was controlling Ayla, her eyes were bright white and now they aren't. Realizing that Blithe has left her now, I turn back to my real form and run over to her.

Ayla doesn't respond no matter how hard I try to get her to talk and eventually she falls asleep. I just hug her to me and can't help but feel guilty at the sight of her so exhausted, clearly terrified and hurting. If only I caught on quicker to what was happening in my own home rather than focusing on how to capture Blithe. 

"I'm going to fix this, angel. You won't hurt anymore, I promise." I breathe shakily before picking her up. "I'll do whatever it takes."

"Vito! Corbin! Has Astra arrived?!" I call as I open the door, their eyes widening when they see Ayla passed out in my arms.