Chapter 36

"You can't do that, Jax." I shake my head. "Stop trying to break up with her for me. I won't let you put me in that position."

"I'm not putting you in any position." He stops and looks away. "This is something I want to do. I'm not happy with Rebecca."

"You seem pretty happy to me."

"That's all an act!" He raises his voice. "I can't act any other way without Hunter or even her getting suspicious."

Little did he know Rebecca didn't care about him and Hunter was too caught up in his own romance to notice anything.

"We have to stop." I begin. "Whatever this is," I point between us. "It's over, Jax. I'm not going to keep living this...this lie. We're not only lying to everyone around us but to ourselves."

"Don't say that." He shakes his head.

"You know it's true. You're never going to change. Let's say you and I end up together, then what? You'll get bored of me and move onto the next."

He runs a hand through his hair, frustrated at my words.

I looked away, feeling my eyes fill up with tears. I wouldn't cry over him. It was pathetic.

I looked out into the darkness, trying to find a single star in the sky but none could be seen. Goosebumps filled my body from the cold breeze as we finally reached the very top.

Everything was glowing from every direction  below us. If Jax and I were in a good place we could have been having an amazing time right now.

Instead, I find myself breaking up with a guy I never even got the chance to call mine.

"You're wrong." He finally speaks. "It's impossible to ever get bored of you. I've known you basically all my life and I still can't get enough of you. I want you, Emma."

I wanted to say I wanted him too, but instead, I found myself telling him I didn't want him. I found myself pushing him away and letting him know we would never work.

"I'm not taking no for an answer." He stands his ground. Moving closer to me, he places his hand on my knee. I tried ignoring how my heart skipped a beat but it was no use. I was lying to the both of us.

"I'm going to prove you wrong. I don't care how long it takes, I'll show you how much you mean to me."

"Jax," I sigh.

"No, Emma. You have to believe me. I don't want to be with Rebecca."

"I do believe you." I let out. "It hurt seeing you with her."

"I know and I'm sorry." He leans forward, caressing my cheek. "I remember how much it hurt always seeing you with Alex. I always wished it was me."

"I want to be with you." I randomly let out.

"Then be with me."

"It's harder than it seems." I say.

We were reaching the bottom and we still had so much to talk about.

"You're making it hard. It's not supposed to be this difficult." He sighs.

"Nothing about love is easy."

"Love?" He smirks.

"You know what I mean."

"Stay up tonight. I'll come around midnight to your house." Jax says.

I nod my head and lean back as we begin to approach the bottom. I couldn't wrap my head around what just happened.

I felt a glimpse of happiness and excitement as we got off the ride. After tonight Jax and I could have a chance. There wouldn't be anything in our way anymore and although Hunter couldn't know, we'd make sure to be discreet.