Chapter 59

The following morning I woke up on the floor of my room with Hunter and Jax next to me. Marissa was comfortably sleeping on my bed and I got to wake up with back pain.

We all fell asleep watching TV last night trying to avoid the horrific event that occurred with Nick and Marissa.

Jax filled Hunter in on what happened and he was furious he wasn't there to jump in on the action.

I woke up with my head hurting from all the crying I did last night. After Marissa confessed what Nick had done to her we left the topic alone and continued our night.

She made it clear she didn't want to talk about it. She wanted to have a good time but all night I knew her mind was else where.

I stood up off the floor and walked out into the kitchen. Yawning, I opened the fridge and took out the milk. My stomach growled when my eyes landed on the box of cereal.

Spilling it into the bowl, I pour the milk and put it away before I start to eat it.

I sat on the stool lost in my thoughts when Marissa came into the kitchen scratching her head.

"Good morning." She yawns.

"Hey." I give her a small smile. I stay quiet watching as she pours herself cereal. She throws out the empty box of milk and sits down across from me.

We eat in silence, tension building up between us. She looks up at me from time to time, chewing on her cereal.

"You're being weird." She speaks.

"What?" I stare at her.

"I said you're being weird." She says again. "Since last night, why?"

"Uhm," I swallow. "I'm not being weird."

"You are." She nods. "It's weird."

"I'm not weird, nothing is weird." I shrug, continuing to eat my cereal.

"It's the whole Nick thing." She looks at me with a blank expression. "It's fine, we can talk about it."

"We don't have to." I tell her. "I mean, if you aren't ready or you don't want to talk about it, I understand."

"Do you, though?" She questions. "Do you really understand?"

I shrug, putting my spoon down. "No, not really. I mean, why? Why did you stay with him? How long has this been happening? Are you okay? Do your parents know? I have so many questions, I feel like you've been hiding this huge secret from me."

"I know it's a lot." She nods, tucking her hair behind her ear. "And I'll answer everything, just, I feel like I owe Jax and your brother an explanation too. Can we wait until they wake up?"

I nod. She finishes her cereal and gets off the stool, putting the bowl in the sink. Before she walks away I call after her. "Were you happy? With Nick, I mean, were you ever happy with him?"

She stays quiet, thinking of what to say before looking up at me with tears in her eyes.

"Yes," she nods. "At first."

- -

"I feel like I owe you guys an explanation about last night, especially to you Jax. You didn't have to jump in." Marissa say as we're all gathered around.