23 - Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire - pt. 4

Chapter Seven Continued

"I..."

She wouldn't be asking unless she knew I wasn't at school. I fumble in my head for a lie.

"I was at Ari's. We stayed up late working on our Physics project." I start and try not to glance at Cameron. He's standing awkwardly next to me.

"We overslept this morning, but we made it to Physics. We got an A+."

She continues to stare at me, I don't know if she's bought it. Her gaze switches between me and Cameron then she nods her head. I struggle not to sigh in relief.

"I'm going to go shower and change into a dress," I say. Cameron's eyes are begging me not to leave him alone with her, but I retreat to my room. I'd just lied to my mother's face for the first time, I needed to get away.

When I return the table has been set and my mom's boyfriend has also arrived. Dinner goes smoothly. My mom doesn't mention my truancy again. She makes lite conversation, the normal parental stuff. How's school? Where were my plans for this weekend? She even asked about Kris and Katie. Everything is going well, except for Cameron.

Across the table, he keeps throwing disapproving stares at me. I ignore it. We finish the meal and my mom brings out a birthday cake. Everyone sings happy birthday and eats. Afterward, I clear the dishes while my mom and her boyfriend talk. Cameron helps and follows me into the kitchen.

I rinse and he places them in the dishwasher. We aren't speaking, but I can feel him stewing next to me.

"You lied to your mom." And there it is. I put the plate down and glare at him.

I grit my teeth and whisper harshly. "Would you have preferred I told her the truth. Sorry, Mom. I went clubbing last night. Had sex all night with my boyfriend and a few times more in the morning. I was real tired so I was little late to school?"

He looks away defeatedly. I reach for another dish from the sink, but he stops me. He rests his hands on my shoulders and turns me around to face him.