fourteen

Pod is serving us our lunch.

"Your new hand is nicer than the old one," Tyrion tells Jaime referring to his new gold hand, "Wouldn't you agree Pod?"

"Is it solid gold?"

"Gilded steel."

"You're not eating," I say to Jaime.

"I'm not hungry."

"You lost a hand, not a stomach."

"Try the boar," Tyrion says, "Cersei can't get enough of it since one killed Robert for her."

Jaime denies the piece Pod offers him.

"A toast," Tyrion says. We raise our wine glass, "To the proud Lannister," he looks over at me, "and Baratheon children. Jaime goes to pick up his glass but knocks it over with his fake hand.

"I'll clean it," Pod says.

"No, I'll do it. Leave us."

Pod leaves.

Tyrion's pours his wine of the table, "It's only wine."

I pour Jaime more wine.

"I can't fight anymore," he says.

"What about your left?" I ask.

"I can hold a sword, but all my instincts are wrong. How can I protect the King when I can hardly whip my own ass?"

"You're the Lord Commander now," Tyrion says, "Command. Let the others do the fighting. When was the last time father used a sword?"

"I'm not father. I'm the kingslayer. When people find out I can't slay a pigeon..."

"Train," I say, "Learn to fight, use your other hand." 

"With whom?"

"Me or Bronn."

"I think Bronn would be up the to challenge," Tyrion says.

*

I walk with Tyrion and Pod on our way to breakfast.

"Lord Varys," Tyrion says, "Breakfasting with the King?"

"I'm afraid foreigners aren't welcome at such exclusive affairs."

"Oh to be foreign," I say.

Varys clears his throat causing Pod to stop walking with us. I continue walking with Tyrion and Varys not really paying attention to what they are talking about.

*

I sit next to Tommen at the very end of the table as Margery's father gives Joffrey big cup that's supposed to symbolize something.

Pod walks over and puts a book in front of Joffrey. Tyrion gets out of his seat to go stand in front of Joffrey and explain the book.

"A book?"

"The Lives of Four Kings, Grand Maester Kaeth's history of the reigns of Daeron the Young Dragon, Bealor the Blessed, Aegon the unworthy, and Daeron the good. A book every king should read."

Joffrey adjusts in his seat, "Now that is war is won we should all of time for wisdom. Thank you, uncle."

Since when did Joffrey say something normal?

A knight brings Joffrey a sword.

"One of only three Valyrian swords in the capital," My grandfather says, "Your grace, freshly forged in your honor."

He stands up to go around the table to admire his new sword. He pulls out the sword swinging it around like an amateur. Joffrey cuts the book Tyrion have to him into pieces.