10. The first step towards infinity✔

Dedicated to,itsreya_ganguly, my first reader who very generously cast the first vote on my story.

Sampurnaa's pov:

I had a successful meeting with Mr. Chakraborty. His demeanor was enough to know that he was a capable and reliable lawyer, not one to mess with.

After meeting him, I proceeded to go to Nerul to meet Sridha. Her mother had called me in the morning saying that Sridha was asking for me. It was past 6 and I knew I would never reach home before 9 at least. Nevertheless, I had to go, for the girl who had trusted me and for the girl who had accepted me as an older sister.
When I reached her home, Sridha's mother opened the door and ushered me in. She told me about Sridha's panic attacks and her constant demands to meet me. I felt a bit guilty for neglecting her. I honestly thought being with her family would be enough for her but I guess I was wrong.

I went and consoled Sridha after apologizing to her. She confessed that every time she closed her eyes, the lust-filled eyes of those rapists would be staring back at her.

I couldn't do anything for her other than reassuring her of course. Finally, after an hour of crying, sobbing and intermediate confessions, she fell asleep.
I gently lowered her head onto the pillow and went out to speak to her family.

"Uncle and Aunty, there is something important I would like to tell you."

They gestured for me to continue, "I went to meet the lawyer today. His name is Indrayan Chakraborty and he is a reliable lawyer. He's willing to take this case."

They sigh in relief upon hearing this.
"I hope he succeeds in bringing justice to my little girl. She suffered what she shouldn't have in a billion years," spoke Sridha's dad, Daksh Uncle.

There was some hope in his eyes.
We spoke more about the case and they also informed me that a police case had already been registered and that the police would commence investigations the very next day.

It was 8.30 when I proceeded to go back home. Since it was monsoon in Mumbai, the 8. 42 local to CSMT had been canceled and I had to wait for one at 9.02.

I reached home really late and Ma-Baba threatened me about my marriage again. They said that they would get me married if that was the only way I would start behaving responsibly.

I chose not to answer them as I was honestly weary and tired. I drifted off to sleep immediately, drifting into the uncertain and peaceful world of dreams and deep slumber... Away from the chaotic and controversial world, I was about to challenge.
.......................

Indrayan's pov:

I knew I had agreed to represent the girl, Sridha upon Ms. Reporter's insistence, but there was no denying the fact that our flight was not just against those who violated a woman, but also against all those people who encouraged all this i.e., the entire union of sex workers.

Forced prostitution was an open secret. There exist organizations that facilitate the kidnapping of young girls and women and then blackmailing them and forcing them into prostitution.

Moreover, all this was closely linked to human trafficking, child trafficking, and even unauthorized drug smuggling. All these scams had big political names involved and were not a small case. Adding to all this, there had been an accidental death during self-defense which the defendant could use to his advantage during court trials.

This case was like a labyrinth. You could enter via any gateway but you had to notice minute details, trust instincts, gather ample evidence, and simply find that one way that would lead to justice.
There was a lot of work to be done...
Deciding to go for this case was the first step.

There is a rollercoaster ride awaiting us... One that could very well take us to infinity and beyond...

......................................................................

To be continued...

---------------------------------------------------------

A/N
this chapter is extremely short... This is a filler. More's yet to come...
Cheers
Shubhadittya