Chapter 22

Thanya stood to the side and watched as Hansen laid a blanket on the grassy area that was by the sand

Thanya stood to the side and watched as Hansen laid a blanket on the grassy area that was by the sand. He had tucked it into the picnic basket. They picked a spot that was hidden to the side of a lagoon. It was private, yet open enough to where they could see the water sparkle as the light hits the top layer. It was nice and windy. She was glad she chose the right outfit for the night.

Thanya slipped off her sandals and sat at the corner of the blanket. Hansen sat right beside her and pulled out the food he prepared at home. Thanya was impressed by his cooking skills, but she wouldn't tell him that. She thought they were going to do a typical restaurant dinner date, and then they would both go their separate ways. Luckily for her, she came in her car. So if this went south, she could leave whenever she wanted to.

Hansen handed her a cup and dug into the basket for a drink.

"Soda or water?" he said as he held each in his hand.

Thanya laughed and said, "No champagne?"

Thanya didn't drink alcohol, but he didn't know that. Hansen grinned and shook his head.

"No, I want you to feel at ease without alcohol in your system. Besides, I don't drink alcohol, and I heard you don't either?" he replied.

Thanya raised her eyebrows and tilted her head, curious about who he had asked. "Mrs. K told me," he answered her unspoken question.

"Ahhh," she said in understanding. She chuckled and said, "Water is fine."

He winked and said, "Good choice," then proceeded to pour a bottle of water into the cup. He reached back into the picnic basket.

"Now, for the meal I've prepared a five-star worthy meal," Hansen said with pride as his hands were in the basket.

"Oh?" Thanya replied with a smirk.

"Yes. Presenting your five-star meal," Hansen said, right before he turned around and showed her what he made.

Thanya laughed with humor, and they both knew it wasn't one insulting, but it was a laugh where she genuinely found it funny. Hansen had made her a simple peanut butter jelly sandwich and fruits in a container. She thought it was cute and thoughtful. It was definitely different from the dates she went on before. She wouldn't admit it, but she was starting to enjoy it. That worried her a bit.

She was starting to wish he was rude, and that this date went downhill. It would make things so much easier. She would have a good reason not to go on another date with him and would also make sure a second one would never happen. She didn't want to show that she was enjoying it. She debated whether to be rude in case he kept being charming. Hopefully he'd end the date early, make up an excuse like someone needing him to come home and help them or something at work needing his attention. That would be even better.

She grabbed the sandwich from his hand and took a bite. Making sure to thank him for the meal. She wished he was a bad cook and that this simple sandwich tasted horrible. That would also make things easier for this date to go downhill. She'd make sure never to make the same mistake again, that was for sure.