Chapter 4

<<SALMA>>

A couple summers ago Cesar decided to put up a basketball rim infront of his house so him and his friend could play. Of course that was before he was jumped in. Now everyone on the block comes and plays. No one minds though. The Santos actually find it very entertaining to watch. They also play sometimes.

I was sitting on the curb across the street from Oscars house watching some boys play basketball. Him and a bunch of Santos are sitting on the porch drinking and smoking. Jesus came and sat down next to me.

"Are you okay?" He asks nudging me but keeps an eye on the game.

I shook my head. "He hasn't talked to me you know?" I nod my head towards Oscar. I caught him staring at me and so did Jesus.

He's been doing that often. He'll just sit there looking at me with this hateful look in his eye.

" I see how you look at him, the same way he looks at you. But be careful, you're still my baby sister" he nudged me.

"You were born 7 minutes before me Jesus." I say rolling my eyes.

"It's hay, then soos we talked about this" I bust out laughing after I saw how serious he actually was.

I gave him a hug. "Thank you"

He kissed the top of head and walked across the street where Oscar is. Oscar was still looking at me.

"Can you believe it?" I looked behind me it was Jamal. He was with ruby, Monse, and Cesar. "We put up a rim so a bunch of Santos can play." He says earning a glare from Cesar.

"First of all Jamal, we put up the rim" Monse says pointing and the 4 of us. "Even little ruby here helped. Second of all you didn't play once since we put it up, and that was like 2 years ago."

"How're you gonna put a basketball rim in front of a santo house and expect me to play." Jamal says.

That time I hit him on his leg. "Cesars a Santo and both my brothers are Santos. Plus you're talking about them like they're not right there."

He shrugged.

"Anyways, my dad is out of town again, do you wanna sleepover?" Monse asks.

"Let me go tell Oscar" I get up dusting myself off.

-

Oscar didn't even say anything to me when I told him I was sleeping at Monse's tonight.

"Sooo when were you gonna tell me about Cesar?" I ask Monse catching her off guard.

"How'd you know?" She asks surprised.

"Bitch, look at my face" She does. "Do I look dumb? I live with Oscar at the moment. I see you sneaking in and out every night"

"Don't get started on me, when were you gonna tell me about you and Oscar? I see the way he looks at you, and you've been in love with him for god knows how long?" She asks.

"Okay, I was never in love with him. I like him just a little bit."

"I see it all. I was just waiting on you to tell me." she says putting her hands on my shoulder. My eyes start tearing up.

"I'm so scared Monse. I don't even know what happened, None one will tell me" I adjusted myself so now I'm facing her. "And now Tony is in jail because of that bitch, no one knows when he's getting out. Oscars not even talking to me, all he does is give me these weird stares. I don't know what to do."

"Like I said I see the way he looks at you, and it's the same way you look at him. He's just scared give him time." she says rubbing my back which for some reason makes me cry even more.

"Jesus said the same thing today" I gave her a hug. "I love you so much, you know that?" She pulls away wiping the tears off my face.

"Now come on, let go wash your face so we can watch the walking dead" she says rubbing her hands together then running off to the kitchen. I stood up and walked to the bathroom to wash my face with some cold water. By the time I got back to the living room Monse already had the table piled up with snacks, and the walking dead was paused where we left it on last.

"Thank you" I said looking at her.

"Okay I have one more surprise" she said with her hands behind her back. She puts her hand up to my face to cover my eyes.
"Are you ready?" I nodded my head with her hands still covering my eyes. She takes her hand off my eyes and all I see is Monse waving a ziplock bag of pre rolled blunts in my face. We both burst out laughing.

She takes a blunt out and lights it up. Cesar always gives Monse a bunch of weed. Whenever she gets it from him she rolls all of it up so whenever we want to smoke, we don't have to waist time rolling.