chapter 23

"what?, Why did you not tell me this before?" Commander Leon yelled, sprinting to his feet, looking frustrated at Skye who was now cradled in her mother's weak embrace, narrating what had happened to her and why she fled from the castle.

A tear escaped her eyes as she sniffles hiding her face in mother's arms. She knew her mother was not healthy enough to hold the shock of how unfair life had been to her but Skye had no one else to turn up to and expose herself entirely to let that person embrace her and calm her soul.

Her mother gently brushed her hair with her trembling hand whispering quiet nothing's . Skye could easily feel how weak her mother have become after the illness she had been suffering from, due to which she left the job of lady Joanna's personal maid and let Skye take charge of that.

Leon huffed in exasperation when she didn't answer back and ran his hand roughly through his hair refusing to sit back. He was breathing loudly as strange emotions swirled around in his heart and he never felt this frustrated before.

Since Skye felt pain after the kiss in the joint of her neck, she refused to meet his scorching gaze throughout the journey until they reached her ill mother's house where she finally broke down in her mother's arms and spilled everything which was pushing her down like massive weight around her shoulders.

"I'll never go back there again,ma!" Her words were muffled by her mother's arms that were tightly secured around her but everyone heard her nonetheless.

"Of course sweetie, I'll protect you with my life." Her mother whispered back to her putting her chin over Skye's head.

"What if guards try to search for me and find me here?," Chill crept down her body while thinking about the possibility," they would try to bring me back to that monster."

Leon turned towards her with a scoff resting at her face,"No one will be able to touch you as long as I'm here." He growled.

"But you are injured yourself, son. You can't handle any type of fight."mother softly reminded him of his injuries, looking pitifully at him which he didn't take well.

"I'm very much able to save her or anyone else for that matter." His every single word was filled with passion and a hidden promise which didn't go unnoticed by the keen experienced eyes of Skye's mother.

"All I want for you both is to stay at my place safe and sound," she adviced and look down at Skye," and no one will lay a hand on you."

~~~~~~

Sky groaned, having been Disturbed in her sleep when she heard mother coughing profusely. She rubbed her eyes with the back of her hands and covered her eyes once her eyes met suddenly with morning sunlight.

She saw her mother opening the door, holding empty bucket in her hand, ready to leave.

"Ma, where are you going this early in the morning?"

At this, her mother stopped in her tracks and looked behind to see her sitting upright.

"I'm going to retrieve some wa-water." With that another bolt of cough escaped her throat and she dropped bucket on the floor and doubled over at the impact of cough.

Skye tsked and hurried up towards her. She brought her towards the old bed, holding her by the shoulders and made her sit and sat beside her,"how many times do I have to tell you that you need to take care of yourself." At her scolding tone, her mother just smiled which annoyed her more because mother was not taking her words seriously.

"I just wanted to go fill the bucket with water from the well."

"I'll go fill it, you need to lay down and try to catch some more sleep."with that Skye got up, grabbed the bucket and ignoring her mother's protests left to fill the buckets with water from the well nearby.