Chapter 7

In 15 minutes, we all were sitting at the table. The focus has finally shifted from me to other things. Everybody talked and laughed, only Mike was all serious. He was eating slowly and his mind was somewhere else. Was he jealous? Did Serge's appearance put him in a bad light in front of his friends? I was looking at his face trying to read his feelings.

I looked at him and it felt as if I had known him for years, not months. He became very close to me. Although he was not handsome by all means, the way he looked at me, combined with his charming smile, filled me with warmth that I haven't felt with anybody else. I could see he cared about me, although at times he tried to hide it.

But then, at that moment, I looked at him and his face was showing absolute indifference.

"How is the food?" I asked him.

He continued chewing as if he didn't hear me.

I leaned towards his ear. "Hellooo."

He turned towards me. "Uh...what?"

"How is the food?"

"Ah. It's ok."

"What are you thinking about? Your mind is elsewhere."

"Nothing. Just eating."

"Ok."

He put more stuff on his plate and continued to eat. I looked at him and couldn't understand what was going on.

"Hun," I tried again.

He turned and looked at me again. A cold look was coming out of his eyes.

"What did I do to deserve this look right now?" I asked him.

He looked away. Others were still discussing something and were not paying attention to us.

"Lola, how would you feel if my ex-girlfriend would appear out of nowhere?"

"He is not my ex-"

"...and would tell you how great I am, how lucky you are to have me as a boyfriend? How I transformed her life for the better while we were dating?"

"He is not my ex, ok?"

"Why are you lying to me right now? Do you think I am that stupid?"

We both paused for a moment and looked around.

"Ok, suppose he was actually my ex-boyfriend. What does it change? He is an ex...and he saw me accidentally on the street. Is it my fault?"

Apparently, I spoke louder that I intended. All his friends suddenly looked at us. He noticed it.

He looked into my eyes for a few moments.

"No. Of course, it's not your fault." It sounded as if he were speaking what he really thought and it was not a sarcastic answer.

In a few moments I addressed him again, "Hon."

"What?"

I leaned my chin on his shoulder.

"You mad at me?"

"I said it is not your fault."

"I'm sorry, this whole scene didn't look so nice. If your ex-girlfriend came up to me like that I would pull her hair out. I'm sorry, baby. I'm sincerely, sincerely sorry."

He wrapped his arm around my shoulders. "Ok, subject closed, we are not talking about exes here." He kissed me on the forehead.