Explosive Finale: Paul's POV

Dawn returned her Oricorio amidst Faba's delighted laughter. He was saying something but numbness was beginning to descend on me as I returned Lucario. I looked over at Dawn in her elaborate dress and took a step toward her.

"Dawn. Dawn, please look at me," I heard myself say and I was disgusted at the vulnerability that was so obvious in my voice. 

Dawn didn't move her head from its downturned position though and I thought back to a few months ago when I decided that I would let her back into my life the next time I saw her. I thought at that time that if a time came when Dawn chose to leave me I would be alright... but after only four days of having her be my girlfriend having her in front of me and not being able to speak with her was killing me.

Dawn released Piplup without comment and I looked down at the little runt. I had tormented this pokemon all throughout our travels together but seeing him with drooping shoulders and a somber look on his face instead of his normally pridefully puffed out chest and a challenging glint in his eyes made my throat clench tightly in sadness.

Not able to form any words I released Torterra from his Pokeball. As Torterra appeared he immediately began running towards Dawn; his vines sprouted from under his shell and reached out to wrap her in them. Shock and a desperate hope rushed through me, but before Torterra's vines could find Dawn, Pheromosa jumped in front of her and let off the strongest Bug Buzz I had ever seen. Torterra's knees buckled under the pressure of the shimmering green waves and he shook his head growling angrily.

"Control your pokemon Paul or I will call off this battle," Faba announced angrily. "And if that happens you know that Dawn will remain with me forever, right?" 

I glared over at him and nodded stiffly.

"Torterra," I yelled. 

He turned so he could look at me and I saw confusion and anger reflected in his black eyes. I knew that an even fiercer anger was reflected in my own eyes and I tried to keep my voice even

"Faba hypnotized Dawn. If we don't beat her then Faba is going to take her away," I growled out.

Not that I really trust he'll keep his word if I do beat Dawn. But what else can I do? I thought desperately. Torterra narrowed his eyes but slowly backed up so that he was once again on our side of the battlefield and awaiting my instructions.

"That's better. Now, please continue," Faba said with a wicked glint in his eyes. 

The pheromosa shielding Dawn leaped back over to stand behind Faba and I loosened my clenched fists, surprised when I saw several large, angry indents in the palms of my hands from my fingernails.

"Use Mist," Dawn said. 

I frowned in confusion as the familiar fog-like mist spread across the battlefield and I looked over at Dawn. She should know that I didn't use any moves that affected stats with Torterra... so why did she waste a move like that? Maybe she really is somewhere in there, I thought desperately and then took a steadying breath.

"Use Giga Drain, Torterra," I ordered. 

Normally I wouldn't use this move, but Torterra had been hit hard by Pheromosa's attack, and if I had any chance at beating Dawn I needed Torterra to have energy. Torterra roared and as Piplup ran to the side to try and avoid the move suddenly large green orbs began to stream from Piplup and run into Torterra. I watched with satisfaction as Torterra's tree leaves began to glow and became a little fuller from the added energy. Piplup fell to one knee and panted quietly.

"Ice Beam, Piplup," Dawn said softly. Piplup stood back up and fired an Ice Beam towards Torterra.

"Use Stone Edge to block," I said quickly.