{12}

Paraprosexia

(n.) constant distraction

My eyes widened at his words, Balto and Lilly came after I had been standing at the edge. So in reality, Arrax didn't know shit, he was bluffing trying to call me out. But that also meant that he had a hunch that I wanted to leave, I'd tried to act as happy as could be. At least with the others, not necessarily with him.

"I was not, don't assume things." My voice calm, the composure was all I had left.

"I'm afraid I believe my Beta's words over yours, now explain yourself." He snarled.

"Firstly, I still don't have to explain myself to you, I thought we went over this already?" My tone was dripping with sarcasm and I knew how pissed off he was, "Secondly, you're placing words in Balto's mouth, I wasn't even considering leaving."

"I call bullshit."

Digging my finger into his chest, I met his intense stare without an ounce of fright, "I've been calling bullshit for the past two weeks, do you see me doing anything about it?"

He pushed my hand away from his chest, sending shocks through my arm by his touch. "You're not worth trusting, none of us think you are."

A searing sensation in my chest distracted me momentarily, "Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?"

"You need to stop with the sarcasm and see the facts as they are, you aren't welcome here. You're my mate and that's the only reason why you're still around, and quite frankly, I'm not even sure about that anymore." He spat.

His angry eyes met my confused ones, for some reason it was painful hearing him declare things like that. My gaze flickered across his features, from his wet hair almost black from the rain, to his strong jawline. It was frustrating how handsome he was, it would've been easier to hate him if his looks were different.

Arrax continued, "Your eyes made it known that you were my mate, but I can barely smell you. A soulmate is someone you can smell from a distance and their scent will be all that is entering your mind, you're not that for me."

A hot pain ripped through my chest, almost more painful than an actual knife. How in the hell did I end up like this? Weak.

Small glints entered my mind, seeing his smile, how his hands felt on me, my name falling from his lips. It was too much. He was charming when he wanted to be, the one situation in his bedroom where he joked around with my skills at cleaning entered my mind. How did we go from that to this?

Me masking my smell was also compromising the bond to my mate, so much that he even doubted if I was his soulmate. I could smell him and I knew he was it for me, but I really couldn't blame him for doubting us.

"I don't know what you mean, Arrax." I said once I'd found my voice again, looking down at my feet digging into the muddy grass. The rain was pouring down heavily and small rounds of thunder drummed through the sky, giving me a much needed distraction.

He took a step closer to me, lifting my head upwards with his finger, making my eyes gaze into his. "I don't know what's going on either, Aspen. But I can't fucking ignore the fact that every cell in my body wants you, I can't ignore my wolf needing you, I cannot ignore how those beautiful blue eyes glance into mine."

My breath hitched by his honest words, it was crazy how our breaths mingled in the dark night. Every word he spoke was the complete and utter truth, I felt the exact same way about him and not being able to do anything about it ruined me. Right here, in this moment, I finally felt complete. A wave of secureness and safety washed over me, making it known that leaving him would be harder than anything I'd ever done before.

His thumb gently caressed my lower lip, as his eyes were hungrily fixated on the silent breaths leaving my mouth. It was almost painful how much I wanted him.

Arrax's face came closer as his lips lightly grazed mine, pulling my emotions into a frenzy. My heart raced in my chest trying to make sense of the situation. Arrax's hand left my chin as he grabbed my waist and pushed me flush against his muscular body, allowing me to feel every inch of him. The rain had drenched us completely, molding our bodies smoothly together.

His warm body against mine, the coldness seeping through my clothes from the weather. Mint was on his lips and it overwhelmed me, making my head extremely dizzy and me ready for more. It was pure torture how close he was to me, without giving me that last movement of surrender.

Before I knew what had happened, my body moved on instinct as my lips landed on his. Chills reached every inch of my skin, erupting like an exploding volcano, forcing shivers to rack down my spine. Arrax was quick to react as he took dominance and kissed me, his hands squeezed my waist tighter and his lips moved in perfect sync with mine. Exploring each other, tasting each other, each sensation and movement memorized in my mind.

A groan left the depths of his throat, forcing my thighs to squeeze together, trying to ignore the throbbing between them. These emotions were everything my mind could focus on. My hands gripped around his neck in a desperate attempt of getting ahold of myself again, his tongue danced with mine, the need for us as transparent as ever.

Arrax's lips left mine to start the sweetest torture on my neck, "I can fucking smell how turned on you are, baby, it's killing me."

"Fuck..." I whispered in a trance, the word barely leaving my lips.

He kissed me down to the spot where he'd one day mark me, as his tongue gently glided across a moan left my lips. The spot was throbbing for his teeth and him giving it some attention now was driving me crazy.

Every movement suddenly stopped, the atmosphere shifting completely between us. Taking a step away from his warm body, I realized that someone must've linked with him, since his eyes were anywhere but here. My heart felt heavy with regret of what I'd done, but it was still racing from being so close to him too, every tingle gave me small shivers of excitement. It was insane how much we craved each other.

His eyes finally met mine, heavy with guilt. "I'm sorry, but I have to go to one of the other pack houses, they need me."

I could only manage a nod and a small smile in his direction, before he left me standing alone in the rain. Cold seeping into my pores, slapping reality in my face. We couldn't do this, it was too much of a sacrifice on my part.