Prologue

CASSANDRA 

"How could you?" Xavier exclaimed.

I sat up straight with tears running down my face. "Please no, it's not what it looks like," I begged.

Next to me, my husband's best friend Antonio was naked beside me in bed. I tried desperately to cover myself with the bedsheets.

My plea only seemed to make things worse as Xavier's anger worsened.

He fisted his hands, giving the two of us a murderous glare.

He had to believe me, this was really not what it looked like.

Thunder roared outside as the rain poured. This only worsened the mood.

"With my best friend." Xavier spat with a clenched jaw. "I want the two of you to get out of my house." He yelled. His voice was filled with anger. In our two years of marriage, I have never seen him this angry.

"Gladly," Antonio who had been silent all this while interjected. "You couldn't do it for your wife, so I had to. You have no idea how much fun we had while you were on all of those business trips." Antonio laughed.

Xavier moved forward to punch Antonio, but he quickly reframed himself, desperately trying to control his anger.

"He is lying!" I yelled out in tears. "Please, Xavier. This is all just a big lie. He set me up. You have to believe me." I continued to beg.

Xavier pointed at the two of us. "By the time I'm back, I want both of you out of my house!" He yelled. He looked at the two of us as if he had just tasted something bitter in his mouth then stormed out of the room.

The anger inside of me exploded as I took it all out on Antonio. I slapped him and punched him all in a fit of rage.

"How would you?" I yelled slapping Antonio once more. I had lost all my energy. "Why would you do this to me?" I sobbed.

Antonio laughed. "What? We did this. We made love," he said, a smirk forming on his face.

I shook my head in denial. "We both know that never happened. You drugged me," I yelled.

Last night, he came here as usual. He said he wanted to talk to Xavier. I told him Xavier wasn't at home. He insisted that we have a drink and I foolishly agreed. He must have spiked something when I left the room for a minute. The next thing I knew, I woke up to the sound of an angry Xavier and Antonio sleeping beside me naked.

"Good luck proving that, last night was fun." He smirked.

He jumped off the bed to put on his underpants.

He blew a kiss at me while maintaining his laugh. I couldn't help but turn away from him in disgust.

Immediately after he walked out, I broke down further into tears.

I don't know what I did to deserve this. How could he? He had always been Xavier's friend, even the best man at our wedding. All the time he came over trying to make small talk, even when Xavier wasn't home. I should have known.

*****

"I thought I was clear when I said I want you out of my house by the time I'm back," Xavier said.

He had returned to our bedroom.

I was now dressed and curled up in a ball as I cuddled myself. I felt all cried out.

Xavier's shirt was untucked. His hair looked messy as if he had run his hands through it a couple of times. His eyes were red and he had fisted his hands again, with one bleeding.

I quickly jumped off the bed to dress his wound. "Let me help you," I said walking towards him. There were still tears running down my cheeks.

"Don't!" He yelled pulling away. "I said I want you the fuck out of my house!" He demanded.

This time there was something dangerous in his tone. There was no telling what he would do.

"Please just listen to me. I can explain. It's not what it looks like. Just give me a minute to..." I spoke.

He cut me off before I was done speaking by simply raising his hand.

"Get out," he repeated.

He walked over to the small coffee table in our bedroom. He then collected the papers on top of it and threw them at me.

"On your way out don't forget to sign the divorce papers." He spoke coldly.

He stormed out of the room, slamming the door.

I knew then that the man I married was gone, and so was our marriage.