Chapter 19

Cassandra's POV

I opened the door knob, tears streaming down my cheeks. My vision blurry and my head spinning a little.
I felt my phone vibrate ignoring the beep.

I walked into the living room where I saw Xavier from a distance.

"Where have you been?" I've been worried sick." He said walking towards me.

I somehow found my legs moving towards him, the tears streaming down my cheeks. As soon as he stood in front of me he pulled me into his arms as I broke down into tears.

Images of today's events popped up in my mind causing a sharp headache.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

*Earlier that day*

Xavier excused himself from the table to take a phone call.
I watched as he disappeared into his study.

I continued eating my breakfast thinking about what I saw yesterday. Did Melissa send someone to poison me or was it a coincidence that she met that guy? It is possible the cashier lied about that guy poisoning my drink.

Minutes later Xavier came back from his study, his expression had suddenly turned cold as he clenched his jaw and kept his hands into tight fists.

"Cassie, Benjamin is going to drive you today. There is something I need to take care of." He said walking towards me.

"Is everything okay?" I asked an eyebrow raised.

"It will be," he answered. He placed a kiss on my forehead before leaving.

What could have possibly made him this upset? He was in a good mood early this morning.

I continued eating my bacon and eggs not giving this another thought.

After breakfast, I went to my room to take a nap as I was feeling very tired. I was energetic this morning but now I felt drained. I guess making babies is harder than it seems.
I fell asleep as I began to dream of better days.

-------- ••• -------

I felt a cold hand on my shoulder shaking me roughly. I opened my eyes slowly, Benjamin standing in front of me looking annoyed.

"You have to wake up, I'm driving you to your classes today." He said, I could hear the coldness in his tone.
As soon as we made eye contact he turned away.

I shifted on the bed suddenly feeling like I was bumped by a truck. I tried getting up but my body was glued to the bed.

"Come on, you're wasting my time." he said.

He walked away from me and stood by the door.

I don't know what I did to him but I surely didn't deserve this from him. All I did was avoid an awkward situation.

"I don't want to go," I snapped. "I'm staying at home today." I said staring at the ceiling.

If this is how he was going to behave I didn't want to be with him.

"You have to go, I get paid to take you there!" He yelled.

"I don't want to go, if you have a problem you can talk to a Xavier about it, I'm not going anywhere," I snapped. "You can take a day off." I said.

I folded my arms as I continued to stare at the ceiling.

He exhaled deeply then walked out of the room, the door following after him with a bang.

I don't know what his problem is but I didn't like this side of him.

I turned to the other side of the bed trying to fall asleep.

I heard the door knob turn, expecting to see Benjamin walk in, or Xavier. To my surprise it was Paula.

Today she wasn't dressed in her usual maid uniform.

"I'm going grocery shopping, do you need something?" She asked.

"No thank you, thanks for asking." I said.

"I hope you don't mind being alone. Kris will be here soon." she said.

I replied with a small smile as she walked out of the room.

I finally fell asleep, again, without any interferences.

-------- ••• -------

I was awoken by the sound of the doorbell as it continued to ring. I waited for a bit hoping the person would leave but whomever it was seemed very persistent.

I tried covering my ears but the sound kept getting more annoying, I don't know how the sound is so loud when the house is this big.

Paula wasn’t back from her glossary shopping and neither had Kris arrived.

I walked out of my room and to the front door.

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes with my thumb.

I opened the door, already wearing an annoyed expression. I would have expected to see a friend or one of Xavier's friends but this took me completely by surprise.

Instead, the front door was covered in black roses, the roses covered in red drops of what looked like blood.

My body started to shake, staring at the scene in front of me. So many emotions washed over me. I took steps back, my eyes whelming up in tears. I leaned onto the door for support. Looking down, I saw a card on the floor.
I kneed to pick it up as bending as impossible for me at this stage.

I opened the card then read the words in front of me.