Chapter Seven - Part Two

She moved her hands down towards the ground, picturing the ice flying to the left to pierce the lantern. All she needed was one swift push and it should do exactly that, but moving ice in different directions had always been difficult for her. She decided to step closer to it and threw her hands to the left, making the ice spiral towards the lantern.

The crystal touched it, making the lantern swing back and forth as a piece of the glass broke, falling to the ground, but it wasn't enough to open the barrier. Was she putting too much work into this? There had to be an easier way. She stepped closer. Inspecting it, she knew that if this was the way in, she would've been able to make it in by now. The entire left side was shattered.

That glistening light in the corner was still there when she turned, moving around the broken pieces. It made her wonder whether that was part of what she had to do to open the wall. She didn't think it would just be shining for no apparent reason. Her hand touched the right part of the corner again, but this time she also placed her left hand above it. Maybe it was some kind of puzzle. The lantern breaking could've been the first step.

Again, the wall began to crumble and she moved back a little, but then placed her right hand on the left part of the corner and her left on the bottom. She couldn't understand why this would even work, but it was the only other thing she could think of.

Once her skin came in contact with the barrier again, the dirt flew from the top to the ground, covering her. She coughed a couple times, the earthy scent filling her nostrils. It was all she could do to jump out of the way, just as half of the wall came crashing down. She did it! Her lips twisted into a huge grin as she realized what she had just done. Going against her mother and father wasn't the best decision, she knew that, but she quickly took one step inside the chamber. She at least wanted to get in before anyone came after her.

She moved forward in the darkness. Barely being able to see what was ten feet in front of her made it too difficult. While taking small steps, mostly so she wouldn't trip or run into anything and make more noise, she found a hallway. At least that's what she thought it was. Her heart was beating a bit too fast due to her excitement, feeling like a jet flying in her chest. As her feet moved toward the next entrance, she turned and walked again.

The end of the hallway came into her view when she saw a bright light shining, immediately making her eyes close. She covered her face as best she could, just so she could squint. Her arm grazed the side of the wall, dirt coming in contact with her skin once again.

Finally making it to the end, the direction of the light took her directly to these cells. There were only two surprisingly. Each one had silver bars with a lock connecting to the door. She moved a little closer to them, not paying any attention to things around her. A loud clash rang in her ears, making her head immediately turn to her right.

Someone was standing in the cell.

She wanted to help them, but she didn't know how. Being too far away from them was difficult since she couldn't make out their features.

Winter walked forward, trying her best to get as close as she could to the bars. Without focusing on what was around her, she ran into a man. Slowly lifting her eyes up, she realized that he was about six feet tall. She was caught!

He glared at her. "What are you doing down here?" His booming voice had a hint of a growl. He was clearly upset and she didn't want any part of it.

She tried backing up out of his way, but he quickly grabbed her arm, squeezing with as much force as he could, making her whimper. Bits of dirt flew from his brown hair when he pulled her closer.

She held her breath. His stench told her he was down here for quite some time. Maybe he didn't know how to get out, but he needed to figure it out soon.

"Answer me!"

"I-I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause any harm," she stuttered.

"How did you get in here?"

"Solved the puzzle." The words spilled out of her mouth quicker than she could control them. This was something she was proud of. Even though she was scared, he had to know what she did.

He slowly let go of her arm, the circulation of the blood finally making its way back through. She dusted herself off, but he continued to watch her every move. Sighing, she said, "Thank you."

There really wasn't anything in here except for the two cells and a couple of lonely chairs next to them. They must have been for the guards as they monitor whoever is in them. She knew that Phoenix had been taken here and the bright light was making everything harder to see.

Then, she saw him.

His blonde hair with the tiny waves and the bright green eyes staring back at her. Phoenix was there, with the chains wrapped around his wrists.

He deserved it. For all she could tell, he helped with this entire plan. Even still, there was a part of her that wanted to help him out. Would he try and hurt her again? She didn't think he could if he had the chains around his wrists, but there was always a possibility.

Should she even help him?