Chapter Seventeen - Part Two

Those last three words made her stop in her path. Every bone in her body wouldn't dare to move as she tried to process what she thought she just heard. Winter never trusted Phoenix which resulted in her mind rotating between situations on whether it was true or not. Weren't her father and Phoenix close? She couldn't understand why anyone would do such a thing. I poisoned him. What type of a life was Phoenix hiding? And now, here she was locked up in a basement with a murderer. There was no way she was going to stay here.

Before she was able to process everything, she turned around and threw her fists against the door, pounding as the anger ran through her. She wasn't going to let him get to her this time. Her heart beat rose as she yelled, "How dare you kill my father? Who do you think you are?"

Moments passed and she received no response, yet she still continued on. "Phoenix! Get down here! I heard everything you just said and don't you act like I didn't!" In hopes of randomly unlocking the door, Winter twisted the knob multiple times, but it almost smacked her in the face when it flew open.

"Shut up, Winter. I've had enough of this. I don't care what you heard. You speak of this to no one. Do you understand?"

Her veins still filled with rage. She wasn't done with him. Not yet. "Don't you dare speak to me like I'm a child, Phoenix. You're the one who killed my fa--"

Out of nowhere her cheek stung as she was almost pushed down to the ground. Winter stiffened, unsure where to go next while lifting her arm up to her face to cover the pain. All thoughts left her mind aside from what just happened. Did he just slap her? Tears formed in her eyes before she had a chance to stop them. She had never been abused before, even if it was just a slap. He had no right to hit her like that. What felt like a tiny rain drop fell onto her cheek, trying its best to wash away the pain no matter how much it stung.

Phoenix gasped. He brought his thumb close to her face, possibly to wipe away her tears, but Winter flinched. She didn't want to be touched again whether it was for a positive purpose or not. "Winter, I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean--"

Backing away from him, she shook her head and bent down to sit on the floor. The concrete walls were better to look at than he was. She wasn't going to accept his apology. It would take way more than that to make her feel better. The pressure of the pain hadn't left her cheek and he was doing nothing to fix it even though he was sorry. Though she didn't move to see him, he was still standing in the room. What was he doing? He achieved his purpose and got her to back down, why wasn't he leaving? She didn't want to see his face anyway. If it was up to her, she'd leave now considering the door was wide open, but going through another conversation with him wasn't worth it at this point.

A sigh was one of the first sounds that appeared after a few moments of silence. "I promise you, Winter, I didn't mean to hurt you. Forgive me, please. It won't happen again."

Winter shuffled on the floor, moving as far back as she could. Didn't he understand that she didn't want anything to do with him? This entire ordeal made her realize that coming to Lost Meadow with him just wasn't worth it. She missed her brother. He would never attack her the way Phoenix just did. If only he was around right now.

Summer, are you there? I need to talk to you. With everything that happened between Winter and her brother, she didn't know if he'd even listen, let alone answer her. Hopefully he would. She gave him enough space to think and she really needed his support as her cheek stung with misery.

Winter! Oh my goodness, we've been looking everywhere for you! Where are you?

Who's we? she spoke. Anyways, I guess that doesn't really matter. Phoenix just slapped me. I want to come home. I'm sorry about everything that happened between us and Mother.

"Winter, come on. You've got to say something." Phoenix was getting annoying now. He just wouldn't leave her alone. One of these days he'll realize that she doesn't want to talk.

You're with Phoenix? And he slapped you? Summer chimed in. Oh, just wait till I get my hands on him. He won't know what's coming.

She rolled her eyes at her brother's remark. He always wanted to seem like such a tough brother around her. The majority of the time that meant making a fool out of himself. He didn't respond to her apology, but maybe he was past it. For now, it didn't matter. She needed to get out. Have you ever been to Lost Meadow? she asked him. That's where I am and I'm in a basement and have to find a way out.

You're in another city? Lucky! You got to visit one before I did!

Of course he would get jealous. It's not like she wanted to come here, although she did get to see some pretty interesting things.

Well, it wasn't the way I wanted to see one.

Phoenix huffed. "You're really not going to talk to me, hmm? Well, if you really want to play that game, let's see how long you can go without talking."

Walking away, his footsteps got further from her as he shut the door once again. She may not be in the best place right now, but a sigh of relief appeared when she realized she wouldn't have to see his face again. Now came for the next step. How was she going to get out of here?

 How was she going to get out of here?