31: before I die

Chapter 31: before I die.

Elena 

"Hello, Summer," Justin says as I hurl myself inside the car and turn to him in anticipation of knowing an answer. 

"Was Harrison Grant responsible for wronging my mother's case with false evidence before he buried it underground?" Justin's lips press together at the same time his eyes droop close. "He was thrown out of Cadford because of his illegal ways, wasn't he?" 

Justin looks away from me, with repentance written all over his face. I can't believe my father decided to break it out to me at dinner tonight. Given how my extension of peace to our ex-mayor's son allured them back into Cadford, I feel like the most horrible human being breathing. 

"You knew, and you didn't tell me," I say as Justin starts the car. 

"It's not like that," he says and I look out the window. "Not many people know about this incident. They just know he was wronged and as a consequence, his tenure was terminated with the votes of the town's majority." 

The snowfall has the city looking half dark and half white at midnight. It's a beautiful sight. The temperature has however dropped and I miss the sun and its warmth but there's an excitement pinned to the feel of snow and winter that I've never got to experience with the sun. Winter isn't just cold. Cadford has taught me that Winter is fun, thrilling, and a little nerve-gripping too. 

He knows so much about the termination. It's almost like hearing my father talk all over again. "How do you know the details?" 

He doesn't answer until I glance at him. His lips curve. If his silence is his way to lure me to look at him, I'm starting to get pissed. "My grandfather was the head of that jury which voted him out." 

Now, this has me turned around in my seat facing him with wide eyes and an open mouth. He laughs, cutting my reaction a glance before watching the snow-sided road. "Your grandfather stood up for my mother's justice?" 

Justin shrugged. "Harlan Raine was known for nobility. He could never accept injustice. So yes, he fought for your mother and made sure she got the justice she deserved." 

I smile as I stare at the car stereo. "And I was responsible for inviting that injustice back in town for freaking Thanksgiving." I groan as I drag my hands down my face in an attempt to leave nail marks. 

The second my hands fall on my lap, his palms cover my butterfly ring. He gives my hand a squeeze. "Hatred should never be inherited." That one line holds depth. "When we studied about World Wars and Family feuds, I always wondered why hatred is so hereditary. The problem was with the generations before us. We probably didn't even exist at the time the feud began. Why do we have to continue the rivalry?" 

If this was his way of making me feel less guilty, it was magically working. His words were in accordance with my actions and somehow, they were both making sense. 

"Ashton Grant didn't wrong you," he shrugs. "You merely learned about his existence that day. We both know the words we spit out in rage has very little meaning to be held as a grudge and to be continued by our next clans. You put an end to something that would've been pathetically toxic in the future. If you ask me," he gives me a smile. "I think you had the guts to do something none of our ancestors had. Creating a fight is easy, Summer. Resolving one takes power. I don't think anyone else possesses the kind of power that Dr. Veronica Cohen Summer's daughter has." 

I force myself to look away from him as heat rises to my cheeks. He's been doing this for a long time now. Saying things that are changing the beats of my heart, making chemicals in my body go astray, and mindfucking with the mindfucker.