54: Christmas & Closets

Chapter 54: Christmas and Closets.

Justin

"Yes, perfect slices. You're a really fast learner." Penelope says as I chop the strawberries into the thinnest slices.

Dallas challenged me that I won't be able to chop the strawberries better than him for the English Trifle. This was me proving him wrong.

"Can someone give me a fucking hand over here?" Holden yells from on top of the stool ladder with five tree balls stuffed in his hand. When Caleb and Ace, both ditch watching me win and join his side, he gives them a sealed smile. "Thank you."

Eden, Tristan, and Spencer are hanging the lights, Iris and Dallas are intently watching me with astonishment, and Penelope looks proud. I think I've already given her a Christmas gift by doing this. Nothing else would've made her this happy.

The doorbell chimes and literally none of us move from our positions. However, Theodore doesn't complain when he chucks his vinyl discs on the cupboard shelf and strides all the way to the other side of the manor to open the door. "Daniel, Merry Christmas." He greets and all my cells jolt awake. "Ah, kids, don't you look lovely?"

I hear Nate introducing himself and my strawberry slice thickens because of the celerity. I concentrate on the magenta pink juice dripping off the strawberry I'm crushing in between two fingers.

"Easy there," Iris tells and I mend it.

Dallas gives up. "Fine, you won. I'll go help the parents." I smirk when he walks into the clubhouse where every Founding Family adult was setting up the snooker table for poker. That was the deal. The winner gets to chill.

"Merry Christmas, Penelope." Her voice alarms me when she rushes over to the back of my chair. I hear them hug. When I lift my gaze, I see their reflection mirroring against the back of a silver spoon set in front of me.

She's wearing a red strapless jumpsuit with a Santa cap. No jewelry except the green butterfly ring on her finger. Her heels tap when she takes steps away from the hug. I resume slicing the strawberry.

I see Iris's hand cutting through my sight of strawberries as she stretches them out to Elena. "Merry Christmas, Elena." I sense the smirk in her tone when I lean away and exhale while they shake hands in front of my fucking eyes.

"Merry Christmas, Iris. You look so gorgeous." She says from my other side.

Iris gasps. "Oh, my god, thank you. So do you, Elena."

Yes, we all look gorgeous. Now break the handshake so I can go back to cutting my strawberries.

Definitely sounded better in my head so I let it be there.

Iris breaks the shake and she walks away from me, without wishing. Maybe because I didn't look at her directly. But if I did, I wouldn't be just shaking her hand so it's safer this way. I grimace at Iris when she folds her lips, trying to hide a smirk before she realizes she's failed. She slowly lifts herself off the seat and runs away to the living room.

I start to arrange the slices on my English Trifle after a massive shove on my back from Dylan, a very awkward greeting from Daniel Summer and Cece Reglin, and a cold gaze from our Oregon Boy.

Penelope plops beside me, heaving. She gives an impressed smile at the trifle and then averts it to me. "For such a rough personality, you have very delicate hands."

I roll my eyes at her. "Do you want me to give the layers a stir?" Penelope frowns. "Stop provoking me."

She lightly chuckles. "Did you write?" I make sure we're not spied on before I nod. "Did it help?" I nod again. "Can I read it?"