"You tried to kill me!"

Mason's POV

"What's wrong?" I'm perplexed by the crazy girl's reaction to my car, well, my mom's.

"That right there," she points to the black jeep, "wait no."

She stops and seems to consider her words.

"No, it was you."

"What did I do?" Her words only seem to feed my confusion.

"You tried to kill me!" She points an accusing finger at me.

"What?" I don't even know this girl.

"This morning, I nearly got a heart attack because of your reckless driving."

I don't know what this girl is even talking about. My face and ribs hurt and I really just want to go home. I consider grabbing her and carrying her into the car but that might look like a kidnapping. She'd probably kick and scream so much everyone would be around us in seconds.

"Can we just leave?" I groan.

"Can you just apologise?" She retorts.

What the-

I look at her blankly. I don't even remember anything like what she described happening this morning and my patience is wearing thin. I turn around to walk across the road to the car.

"Do you want a ride or not?" I ask before crossing the street.

For a few seconds, she remains in the same spot and I almost turn around and go pull her towards the car. I can't just leave her there.

In the distance I notice a flash, the bright light standing out in the darkness. I'm about to look closer at it when I hear someone behind me and I turn around to find the crazy girl.

Without saying anything, I unlock the car and she opens the door and gets in with a humph. She puts on her seat belt and crosses her arms, looking straight ahead.

"I'm sorry?" It comes more as a question and she rolls her eyes and looks out the window.

I sigh in defeat and put the key in the ignition, turn it and the engine roars to life. I enter the road and drive off.

"Where do you live?"

She takes a while to respond, nervously playing with the pink and white bracelet on her right wrist.

"The 5th Street." She finally speaks.

5th street? That's where I live.

My mom bought the house a few months ago and we moved last month.

Wait!

It comes back to me now, she's the girl I saw this morning. The one I couldn't figure out where I knew her from. I've seen her around the neighbourhood. For goodness sake she lives right across the street. In my defence I hardly ever see her outside the house.

A small smile appears on my face and I step on the accelerator.

There's complete silence in the car and I'm glad. I need to think thoroughly about what happened tonight.

They're on to me.

I'm treading on thin ice and I need to think fast, to come up with a solution. If this girl hadn't come along, I don't know what would've happened.

Damn! I knew they'd finally figure out what I had done but so soon? My grip tightens around the steering wheel and my bloodied knuckles whiten. They're trying to scare me and it's working.