Escape Plans and Tickets to Hell

"I had a one way ticket to a place where all the demons go"
~Sia, Alive

Mason's POV

"Ace, get the hell out of here." My jaw clenches.

"Oh, Mason," his smile grows, "I'm not leaving without you two."

"Leave her out of this."

"And lose out on ten thousand dollars?" He laughs, shaking his head.

If The Man is willing to pay so much money for her, what is he going to do when he finally gets her? The pit of worry in me deepens.

"Step out of the way and let me take her." Ace cranes his neck, trying to catch a glimpse of Maya behind me.

She's surprisingly still.

"Go to hell." I fist my hands at my sides.

"Well, this will be fun." Ace smirks and cracks his knuckles.

My eyes widen when Duncan comes into view behind Ace.

"Duncan, take the girl and I'll deal with Mason."

The bastard. So much for blood being thicker than water. I guess money destroys all that.

"Sure, thing, boss." Duncan says and my anger grows.

He quickly lifts his hand and jabs Ace's neck. He immediately falls on the floor. My eyes flick between his still body and the syringe in my cousin's hand.

"What just happened?" I ask and Maya steps out from behind me. She gasps and covers her mouth with her hands when she sees Ace.

"There's no time to waste, we've got to go, cuz." Duncan waves us forward.

I take Maya by the hand and we start running out of the house. We get into the car parked outside and Duncan starts driving.

"Where are we going?" The question comes from Maya.

"I don't know." Duncan runs his hand through his hair and looks at us using the rear view mirror. "I'm just going to drive around while we think of a plan."

"We have a plan." I state.

"Oh!" He sounds relieved. "What is it?"

"I'm not going to tell you."

"Mason, I just risked my ass and saved you two back there. How can you still not trust me?"

"What is The Man planning?"

He sighs. "He knows everything you and your friend have been up to."

"How much?" I gulp nervously. I know he was having us followed but does he know everything?

"That you're working with that detective, Luca Meyer. He knows you're trying to bring him down and he's not going to let that happen."

"Is he going to kill us?" Maya's voice is full of panic and she squeezes my hand.

"No, no, I don't think so. He wouldn't." Duncan replies, taking a left turn to God knows where.

"What does he want with us?"

"He wants to keep you hostage so that he can use you to get Mason to do whatever he wants. Fortunately for Mason, The Man sees him as a son and I don't think he'd hurt him."

"Okay, he sees Mason as a son but what about me?" Maya sits backs on the leather seat. "What will stop him from skinning me alive?"

"He knows Mason cares about you, that's enough for him. We were all given strict instructions not to harm a hair on your head, Maya Banks."