"Dude, she saved my life,"

Y'all AB/CD is a band. There's AC/DC and there's AB/CD 😂😂

***

I grab my denim jacket from the closet and put it over my white lace dress.

My phone alarm rings- 6:45- time to wake Lilly up. Usually it would be but today she's already up. She's in the bathroom blow drying her hair. After what happened last night, she said she'd make sure she won't be late for as long as she has to drive me. So only three days.

I grab my backpack on my bed and make my way downstairs. My mom already left for work but my dad's still home. That makes me really happy because I hardly ever spent enough time with my parents.

I'm met with the sound of pots and cutlery and the aroma of bacon and scrambled eggs.

Yup, dad's definitely home.

"Morning dad," I say and give him a kiss on the cheek.

"Morning, Maya." He switches the stove off and lifts up the pan of scrambled eggs. "Eggs?"

I nod and sit on one of the bar stools, resting my elbows on the granite top of the kitchen island. No bacon for me, I've got pork-cat syndrome.

My family doesn't eat a lot of pork products, to make sure I don't accidentally consume it but bacon is never on the "not to eat" list.

"How come you're still here?"

He places a plate of toast and eggs in front of me along with a glass of mango juice.

"It's my day off," he beams before taking a sip of his coffee.

"Well I'm glad," I take a bite of my toast. "I just wish it was over the weekend but I'll make sure to return early so we can spend some time together."

"Morning, morning," Lilly greets and my dad's eyes widen with shock but he immediately recovers himself.

"Morning," dad and I reply in unison.

She looks different, like someone who's actually got her life together. Her hair's been brushed, her white AB/CD t-shirt's tucked into her high waisted black jeans and the shoelaces of her white sneakers are actually tied.

"Hmm, nice!" Lilly excitedly claps her hands when my dad dishes up for her.

"I must ask, Lilly," dad eyes her suspiciously, "why are you up so early? What's going on? Is there a boy up there?"

"Dad," I whine, "why would you even ask that?"

"I just wanted... to get up early.. I don't...I don't like making Maya late." She lies in between chewing her eggs and bacon.

What she really wanted to say was "So Maya got herself into some serious drama last night and if you ask me, endangered herself because I was late. I kind of feel like it's my fault so since this girl can't think straight, I've decided to stop being late to avoid a repeat of last night."

But she can't say that because my parents will freak out and will have me on lockdown. I'm talking school only, no library or park lockdown. Heck they'll ban me from going to those places.

"Okay, but if there is a boy up there," he pauses and looks up the stairs, "just inform him that I'm an ex convict with a rifle and a licence to kill."

He says the last part louder and Lilly and I laugh. His phone vibrates from the counter and he takes it and his eyes flick across the screen.

When he looks up at us, his face is a mixture of disappointment and frustration.

"What's wrong, uncle Lex?" Lilly asks.

"They need me at the hospital. I'm sorry, girls." He looks sad and apologetic.

"It's okay, dad." I force a smile. It's not okay.

"I promise I'll make it up to you." He says before rushing up the stairs to go get ready.

I'm honestly proud of my parents for both reaching their dreams but I hate that they're always busy. I'd like to go to the movies or eat out with them once in a while.

"So, are you and Mason like, friends now?" Lilly asks with a stupid grin, trying to lift the mood.

"What? No!" I almost choke on my juice, "I don't need people like that as friends. It'll bring too much attention to me, besides I don't think he'd want anything to do with me. I'm just a cra...normal and sane girl who interfered in his life and ended up needing a ride from him."

"What? You're more than that, you're the girl that saved his life. Also, there's nothing wrong with attention, Maya. Now finish up, we leave in two minutes."

I quickly gobble up my food and place the plate in the sink. Lilly always washes the breakfast dishes and I wash the ones from supper.

"Oh and by the way, I did not save his life." I correct her when we walk out the door.

***

Mason's POV

"Dude, she saved my life." I say, pacing around Max's room.

He's sitting on the edge of his bed putting on his black converse. I've been going on about the crazy girl from last night and he's been quietly listening to me.

"That was a message, Max." My voice is full of panic.

"Who was this girl?" Max finally speaks, "Someone we know?"

"She's the girl fro..." I'm about to say from yesterday afternoon but then I remember he wasn't there. "Yeah, she goes to school with us. She's friends with that girl Nathan says he's had a crush on since ninth grade. I think her name is Shelby."

"Shelly." He corrects me. "What did she look like?"

"Long, brown hair and she had a green backpack." I quickly respond.

"Oh!" His eyes light up, "It was Maya."

A small smile appears on my face. Maya.

"You're right," I give him a confused look and he clarifies, "About the fight being a message."

I take a deep sigh and sit down on the other edge of the bed. I rest my elbows on my knees and bury my face in my hands.

"You're going to have to be careful. Set up a meeting with Trevor and The Princess and explain what happened."

I release another heavy sigh and don't reply to what he says. I take out my phone from my front jean pocket and look for Duncan's message.

"Here," I hand it to him, "read this."

"Do you think he knows something; something we don't?" Max asks.

"Yeah but he obviously won't tell us, we know where his loyalty lies."

"Just make sure you follow his advice, don't try and make friends with anyone. Don't get cosy with any girl and always be alert."

"Girls? You know that shouldn't be a problem." I'm already getting annoyed.

He realises what he said and mutters an apology.

We've been friends since we were eight and he's been with me through everything. He knows exactly what happened and why I haven't had a girlfriend since then. I mean I've played around but that was it.

"Boys!" His mom pops her head inside the room, "You're late, it's time to get going."

We grab out backpacks from the floor and run out the door, saying goodbye to a chuckling Mrs. Jones.

Thanks for reading and please share and vote☺❤.