Chapter 12

The Luna nodded her head once at me after Thane's introduction, and I gave her and Alpha Cain a weak smile.

The Alpha stepped towards me and reached out his oversized hand. I shook it, despite the fear that made my chest tighten. Unlike Thane's, the Blood Alpha's hands were calloused and rough. After I shook his hand, I shrinked back, closer to Thane, who tightened his arms around me.

The Blood Alphas were looking at each other with a distant look in their eyes, showing that they were probably mindlinking each other. Finally, Alpha Cain spoke to Thane.

Sighing, he told him that Ares wants to go for a walk with me alone.

I felt my heart drop to the floor as my stomach tightened. What are the odds I walk away from this meeting unstabbed? She seemed to have a penchant for throwing knives, and unlike Thane, there was no way I would be able to stop them from sinking into me.

I could feel Thane shrug. "That sounds good to me. Onyx, would you like that?"

What, was I supposed to just say no with the two most powerful people I had ever met staring at me expectantly?

As if reading my mind, Thane mindlinked me. You don't have to say yes, I can come up with an excuse to get you out of it if you're too scared.

I considered his offer, but ultimately decided against it. After all, I better get used to the Blood Lake leaders since they would be around awhile.

Despite how good she was at wielding knives, did the Thane actually trust the Luna enough to let us leave the pack house alone with no guards.

"No guards?" I turned in Thane's arms and asked in surprise, keeping my voice quiet.

His smile turned up coyly. "You won't need them, love," He answered for me, making me frown. How could he trust this girl so much? She looked like she was even younger than I.

Thane tweaked my nose and not-so-subtly gave me a little push towards the Blood Lake members. Ares and Cain got the faraway look in their eyes for a second longer, and then I could see Cain visibly relax.

"Axel, you're going with the females," He commanded, his deep voice nearly making the ground vibrate.

An enormous man with dark blond hair nodded in confirmation. To my surprise, he was nearly as big as Cain. Jesus, how hard do the people in Blood Lake train? All of them looked like they popped steroids daily.

Even though I felt better about a guard coming with us, the man looked almost as frightening as the Blood Alpha.

I turned to look back at Thane, who gave me a reassuring smile and mindlinked me, Don't worry, little one. Ares and Axel won't let any harm come to you. I trust them just as much as I trust my Beta and Gamma.

Oh, Thane. He misunderstood my apprehension. I wasn't worried about external threats, I was worried about the Blood Lake members. They looked so intimidating and unfriendly.

Regardless of my anxiety, I knew I had to just go. I wanted to make Thane proud.

I turned back to the Blood Lake members, and saw the Luna give the Alpha a passionate kiss. As bizarre as it sounds, I could swear I felt the room getting warmer. They finally broke apart, and I could feel myself blushing. Their interactions were so intense. Powerful.

"Be back by noon," Alpha Cain commanded gruffly, and my wolf, no longer feeling Thane's touch, could not resist the command of the Blood Alpha. To my horror, the Luna rolled her eyes. By God, did she have a death wish? I kept my eyes downcast in submission, and subconsciously bared my neck.