Chapter 31

SURPRISE BITCHES!

"Tell me about her?" I finally gain the courage to ask, and Greyson sighs from behind the bars that separate us.

"I don't like talking about it, Nyx. There's a reason I didn't tell you about her before," Greyson warned, and his eyes flashed in pain.

"Please?" I ask quietly. "I want to know about her. Maybe it'll help you to talk about it."

Greyson closes his eyes, swallowing thickly. "Her name was Ava. I met her in the woods when I left my original pack. She was a rogue, had been her whole life. Her parents were kicked out of their pack long ago, so she was born into it. She was looking for berries when I saw her. Humming a tune I didn't recognize, and her voice was like warm honey. Her scent drove my wolf insane, and I knew right away who she was to me.

I nearly scared the hell out of her when I wrapped my arms around her. In hindsight, not a good idea to sneak up on an unsuspecting she-wolf. She stomped on my foot," Greyson laughed slightly.

"Of course, she too felt the mate bond between us. I took her home with me that day after we gathered all of her items from her house. The mate bond is a hard thing to fight. Impossible, even.

She was beautiful, of course, but her soul was the best part about her. Very kind, generous, soft. We fell in love quickly, and she often told me it felt like she was in a fairytale.

One night, she made us dinner, light candles, the whole thing. She was so nervous, she knocked a glass of water on me. When she got a towel to help dry me off, she told me.

She was with pup," Greyson's voice cracked, and I inhaled sharply. "I was ecstatic, obviously. We stayed up that whole night to talk about names, arguing about what gender we thought the pup would be, even about what to paint the nursery. She was so convinced it was a boy, but I knew it would have been a girl. My princess.

Two weeks later, she went into the woods to find berries. During her pregnancy, she couldn't eat enough of them. I offered to get them for her, but she refused, saying she was going crazy being inside for so long. Told me she would be right back.

Shortly after, I felt the bond snap, and I lost the other half of my soul. I tore through the woods, and found her with a knife in her neck. No doubt the work of the Reaper, I had come across plenty of bodies just like hers before I met her, and I could smell her scent faintly in the body," Greyson has tears streaming down his face.

"I thought it was safe," He whispered. "We moved far away from where the Reaper was known to frequent. I hadn't known that she had been pushing deeper into the woods, each time going further than the last."

I wiped the tears off of my face, my hands trembling slightly. "Grey..."

Greyson took a shaky breath. "Ares is not the person you thought you knew. She killed my mate and my unborn pup. I had to try to kill her, for my mate, for my pup. Thinking about getting my revenge was the only thing that stopped me from taking my own life. Until I met you of course, and you brought light into my darkest days, reminded me how good people can be."

I gulped. "Greyson... I don't blame you at all for what you did. If Thane knew... I'm sure he would understand..."

Greyson snarled harshly, making me flinch. "Thane is the last person who would understand. He would have put the knife in my mate's neck just as quickly as the Reaper."

I grimace. "No, he wouldn't... He wouldn't hurt a helpless she-wolf. Ares would... but he's different."

Grey scoffed. "All of those Alphas are exactly the same. Wake up, Onyx. Your mate is just as ruthless as the rest of them. Don't be stupid."