4 | A Library Rendezvous

Evidently, their little rendezvous in the library had not gone completely unnoticed by Cal Senior. One day, as Gigi and Junior were enjoying their favourite pastime, he suddenly showed up in the library unannounced. He dismissed Junior to attend a class and the boy gave Gigi a grin before running off.

Dazed to see her husband here of all places, Gigi straightened her skirt and gave him a polite curtsy, withdrawing to rearrange the books back on the shelves. Now that he's gotten what he needed, he would be leaving in a second; he didn't want to see her.

"I've noticed that you've been spending a lot of time with the Prince lately," came the voice of her husband. As she turned, he was already behind her, leaning against a table and putting his long legs on display.

No wonder he was so tall.

"He's brilliant. It's hard for me not to grow fond of his company," she answered earnestly.

"Yes, he is."

Finally, something they both agreed on.

"I am never going to put him in harm's way, if that's what you're concerned about," she added cautiously, in case he meant it as a warning or a threat.

But Cal was honestly taken aback. "I never said that you were. But he doesn't typically warm up to new people." With his copper gaze fixated on hers, he felt oddly open, vulnerable. "He's not easy to talk to."

"We simply share the same interest in literature, that's all." She hurriedly picked up the remaining books, dropping one of them from her clutch.

"Clearly. I did enjoy a bit of reading myself, before assuming the throne. Travelogues, political science, but nothing like these fictional tales." Picking up the book that she dropped, he glossed over the cover. "It's interesting that you read legends from the Southern Isles. Dragons, gods and magic, isn't it?"

"It has plenty of folk tales. Your son loves it so much." She went to retrieve the book and their hands faintly touched.

"The people who lived there used to believe it was true—all those make-believe fairy tales. They bragged about fountains of youth and sea nymphs, but there wasn't any really. My great-grandfather took over and found nothing, just a bunch of nonsense."

Gigi just glanced at him. He had made it quite clear how much he was above these 'fairy tales', but there was something she would like to know. "Does anyone live there anymore? I saw the islands on my voyage to Angletonia. They were quite picturesque, it would be sad to know they've been abandoned."

"Not really, no. Most of the southerners have moved into the mainland, the better half of them, but I know few who remained. Not the kind of people you'd want to be around— they're freaks." He hissed, gritting the last word between his teeth.

"If you think so lowly of them, why do you keep them a part of the empire?" she denounced, inescapably reminded of herself. Forsaken and unloved, despite him being the one who proposed for her.

Couldn't he just let them go?

The Emperor looked at her calmly. "Have you ever heard about King Maximillian V?" he continued, as Gigi shook her head. "I'm not surprised you haven't. He was a lesser-known Leroy, he lived a short reign. But I bet you know of his younger brother, Raedan II. The first Emperor of Angletonia and my great-grandfather."

Gigi perked up, recognizing the name. Wasn't Raedan the Emperor who conquered the Southen Isles?

"They were twins; Maxim was the heir and Raedan his spare. Long story short, Maxim was found brutally murdered at the hands of the southerners. The conspiracy theories said it was sorcery, though the real method remains unknown."

Gigi's hand raised to her mouth. History was often bloody but she wasn't expecting a member of one of the most powerful families to meet a gruesome death.

"And so, Raedan vanquished the land to avenge his brother."

"I'm so sorry, Sire," she lightly touched his arm. "But if you tell your son to stop reading them, he'd be heartbroken."

"Oh, I'm not banning them," he assured. "It's good that he found them entertaining, but that is where I draw the line. I don't want him to dwell in fantasies."

"I believe he's clever enough to have discretion." A smile bloomed on her face, this was the first time they ever had a normal conversation, as husband and wife.

Cal fetched another book from the table, cracking a smile. "Creatures of the Deep, another one of Junior's favourites. One time he read it and said that there's a Kelpie living in our lake— the mythical horse that lived in deep waters and preyed on humans?"

"Well then, did you find the Kelpie?"

"There's no Kelpie—"

"Did you even look for it? Did you at least try?"

"What good would it be to send people searching for a creature that never even existed?" he retorted, almost aggressively.

Gigi was all smiles. "Your Majesty, this is why your son trusted me with his favourites, not you."

"Of course. He wouldn't shut up about it, you see, especially at night. You have become some sort of a hot topic. 'Today I read this with Gigi and read that with Gigi. Gigi showed me some dragons from her homeland and taught me some new words'. I'm losing my good night's sleep because of it." He sounded peeved, but his expression was relaxed.

"Did he? Ooh, I'm flattered."

"At least I know now he's got another person to talk to, he's not very popular with the servants." His stare turned sorrowful as he lowered them. "They find him difficult."

"Most children are difficult at that age," she uttered sympathetically. Back home she was never everyone's favourite, unlike her dutiful eldest brother or her cheerful youngest brother. The likes of her and Prince Cal were always the odd ones who couldn't win the crowd's approval.

"I can't travel for work or even leave this place for long without worrying for him. But at the same time, it's not possible to bring him." He rubbed his neck. "I'm in a tight spot."

This could be a chance.

"I'd look after him, Sire, if you would allow me." She beamed as he shot his head up at her words. "I have a little brother back home who's about the same age, it wouldn't be my first time. It'll remind me a bit of home."

Cal stroked his chin, contemplating the possibilities. He didn't seem to trust her completely, but she had given him no reason to distrust her either, aside from the fact that his son had positively welcomed and enjoyed her company.

"I..." He cleared his throat, "If Junior isn't opposed to the idea I see no reason why not."

"Thank you, Sire, I'm sure he'd be thrilled. He does long to be able to move in his own space," she responded coolly. "Being constantly coddled doesn't help his image as an heir."

"Did he tell you that? He wished to become independent?"

Gigi stared at him. "Not directly, Sire."

.·。.·゜·༺♥༻ ·゜·。.